Friday, June 5, 2009

School's Out!!

When I was a kid, a school year lasted an eternity. Or so it seemed. As a mother of kids, I blink and the year is gone. In a flash. I swear it was just yesterday that I was delivering them to their first days of Second grade and Fourth Grade. Yesterday, I brought them home as a Third Grader and a Fifth Grader. FIFTH GRADE!!!!! Yikes.

I love the way our school ends the year. They have what they call Stepping Stone ceremonies. It is simply handing them a stone...a note of the year accomplished that steps them up to the next level in life. The teachers do a wonderful job stating to each child of how they noticed growth develop in each child. What a wonderful way to end the year.

It was definitely a proud Mama day for sure.

It was also a bittersweet day for me as well. I couldn't help but mourn again the loss of this school year for Luke. I've had to remind myself over and over again that really we gave him the gift of time and hopefully it will be to his advantage. I know that I need to stop thinking about what should have been...but yesterday that was very hard. I hope that someday I can lay down those nigglings of regret and be completely at peace with our decision.

So now enters Summer. Summer with a Capital S. I have plans for things to be different around here. Things that will hopefully benefit my children...as well as make things easier for me. I am hoping to make memories....proactively instead of waiting for them to happen. I'm praying for a Take Action kind of Summer.

Yep...school's definitely out.

2 comments:

Tresa said...

Congratulations to the kiddos! Amazing...5th grade and 3rd grade! How about a SOPHOMORE! Wowza! Time flies. Been thinking about you. I appreciated your last two posts and am praying for you and Luke. God's got it all planned out, and whatever is in store for Luke is better than we can every imagine! Love you both.

Wanna hear more about your Take Action plans.

Love you ALL!

Tresa said...

Sorry...I should have proof read my last entry. It's too late in my neck of the woods!

hugs!