Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Happiness A to Z

We are on the Official Day 2 of Spring Break. The first day went fairly well. No fights. Some chores were finished. All in all, a very good day. It gave me hope for the rest of Spring break.

Today, I woke to gray skies. Again. The rain sprinkled me this morning on my walk. The cloud cover is significant enough to tell me there won't be any sunbreaks today. Bummer.

The gray skies seem to be settling in here in the house too. Complaints. Mumbled sour words. Arguments.

*sigh*

I want joy. I want happiness. I want kindness and forgiveness. Not sure if we'll get there, but I'm hopeful. So, let's focus on happiness. What brings me happiness? Let's contemplate that from A to Z:

*Applied Talents. My kids have lots of them. It brings me lots of joy to see them used. Athleticism. Great memory. Math skills. Singing. Piano.

*Brotherly togetherness. It was sooo much fun to watch the boys working together yesterday on chores. I smiled so big as I watched Caden patiently teaching Luke how to make cookies. Not the best batch of cookies we've ever had; but, they were sweet just the same.

*Cozy hugs. I love that my kids still want to snuggle with me once in a while.

*Doggy tricks. Ruby is such a hoot when she's going through her little "routine." Cracks me up when she "anticipates" our calls. It is fun to watch my kids playing with her too.

*Everyone together. Seems like lately that our family time together is rare and far between. I love it when we are all together enjoying the same thing.

*Friends. Nothing is better than a great friend. It makes it even better when my kids are friends to each other.

*Good coffee. I never thought I'd say that!! I've always loved the smell of coffee...reminds me of my grandpa. Now, I enjoy a good cup of coffee. A little bit of pleasure amidst the chaos.

*Happy kids. When my kids are happy, this Mom can't help but be happy.

*Ice cream. Smiles in a bowl. 'Nuf said.

*Jesus. Without Him, I'm toast.

*Kindness. Why does that seem such a rare thing these days? One act of kindness can change everything.

*Laughter. Best sound on earth.

*Mom time. When the kids are finally in bed, and the house is quiet, that is pure bliss. Makes me sigh just thinking about it.

*Notes from anyone. Writing notes seems to be a dieing art anymore. How I cherish the words that are written. Those can be revisited again and again. The rewards are endless.

*Overly beautiful flowers. Come on, Spring, do your best!

*Pictures. There is a lot of joy to be found in looking at pictures. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Really.

*Quiet games. Fun and peace all wrapped in one.

*Red Robin. A shared hamburger from Red Robin with my Tim. 'Nuf said.

*Silly jokes. Okay...sometimes this is obnoxious....but roll with it....it's fun.

*Tim coming home early from work. Or should I reword that to: Tim coming home on time.

*Unexpected blessings. Who doesn't love that?

*Very hot bath coupled with a good book....yippee!!

*Walking Ruby. Not always; but, I am coming to really enjoy them. Most of the time.

*eXciting books. I love a good, well-written book.

*Zipping up my new birthday jacket. I love warmth.


This exercise of looking at what makes me happy seems to be working. Hoping the rest of the day proves so.

2 comments:

Tresa said...

Great list! So many things that bring joy to our lives! I love coffee too! :) That's cause wait till your kids are older and don't go to bed until it's your bed time and there's no such thing as "mom time". :) So you either stay up way too late, or you get up way too early, just to enjoy some quiet. ha! So, what about "Y"? Love ya...thanks for sharing your list...and welcome back to blogging.

Anonymous said...

*R-Don't you mean cheeseburger. I don't think I would get away only sharing a hamburger with you. T