Sunday, January 1, 2023

An Invitation into Upheaval

Hello.  Long time no see!  Diving in.  Again. A reboot.  A refresh.  


Last night was New Years Eve.   New Years is soooo overrated.  

I said that to Daria yesterday and she laughed.  "You said that same thing 6 years ago!"  

I did not!  And then she proceeded to show me video evidence. *sigh*  

My thing with New Years is the attitude that we think we are leaving a Year of Yuck behind and we are headed into a Year of Yeah.  How long does it take before we realize that this new Year of Yeah is just another Year of Yuck.  A tale as old as time.  Nothing new under the sun.  So my proclamation stands.  New Years is soooo overrated.

As I wrestled to fall asleep last night, I was reminded of one of the Advent messages at church.  It was the Advent Sunday of Peace.  We talked about the angel's visit to Mary.  I think the Church always talks about what an amazing honor it was for Mary to be chosen to carry the Messiah.  But really?  The angel's visit and proclamation to Mary was really just an invitation into upheaval. From that moment, Mary's life was in complete upheaval.  For some reason, all I could think about last night was how completely upset Mary's life would have been.  Being misunderstood.  Scorned.  Shamed.  Reputation questioned. Lost relationships. Complete and utter upheaval.  In our terms...complete absence of peace.

And she accepted that Invitation without any reservation.  Full stop. With praise. 

2022 was a year of upheaval.  I most certainly have *not* been like Mary and accepted it without hesitation and with full praise.  I've accepted it with a whole bunch of kicking and screaming.  It's been hard.  

Yet, I've also found that 2022 was a year that has drawn me into the shadow of His wings in a new and fresh way.  The only place that I am safe is tucked tightly under His wing.  "Keep me here, Jesus," I beg over and over again.  As I think about this sermon on Mary's invitation into upheaval, I was reminded that Jesus promises His presence in the midst of the upheaval....not the absence of the upheaval.  

So here I am.  Rebooting a blog from ages past.  A blog that helped ground a busy Mom flustered with the chaos of raising three kids.  Now I'm a woman living in upheaval and needing to ground her raging thoughts in the heart of Jesus.  I need to lay things out in a way that "sticks"....that "lasts"...that feels like I've accomplished something for Jesus.  It might be just for me...but it's for Jesus.  I'm resting in Him and asking Him to mend my brokenness one little stitch at a time.  I want to lay out these thoughts so I can say:

 "SEE....you've healed a little. Don't forget."  

Thank you, Jesus.  

0 comments: