Thursday, January 5, 2023

My Word: 2023 Edition

 I've never really done a Word of the Year.  Honestly....I've never really understood the trend. It never seemed to trigger anything in me, so I just let that idea slide right on by.  

Then....a couple of things happened.  

First, my sister started a "new tradition" for our family Christmas.  (I suppose it actually remains to be seen if it's actually a tradition...but it was at least new!)  She asked us to write on a piece a paper what we wanted to give Jesus for Christmas.  Then we placed it in a box and we will check in on ourselves in a year.  

Panic.  Vulnerability feels dangerous these days.  What do I have to offer Him? This year of upheaval has left me in a place that feels barren.  A season of waiting that looks like it will never end.   A season of feeling dead and desperate for a glimpse that new, green growth is there. What do I give Him? I scribbled something down and sent it to the "Treasure Chest."   There.  Done.

Then, about a week later, I had a conversation with my counselor.  She asked me if I had a Word for 2023.  Nope.  Not even sure I understand how to "get" a word.  We talked about it briefly, but that was all I really intended to do with that.  

I'm pretty sure Jesus has a sense of humor..... because He gave me a word the next day while I was writing in my prayer journal. Good grief.  I wasn't even looking for one. I didn't even really realize He'd given me the word until much later that night.(Guess I need a clobber on the side of the head sometimes!)  Fun thing is: I'm almost certain that my word matches my Christmas gift to Jesus!  I'm not sure though....my mini vulnerability panic attack blurred my memory up pretty good!

My word is TRUST.  My whole journal entry yesterday was about asking Jesus to help me trust.  To let my trust in Him override the anxieties that trounce through my mind and wreak havoc galore.  I want trust that is strong enough for times of quiet. For the times of being still...so still that I'm sure I'm dead.  I want trust that silences the voices of fear that roar and rage. I want a "trust that sings so loud and so sweetly that it drowns out" (my exact words) everything but Him.  

The Lord said, "Go out and stand on the mountain in the presence of the Lord, for the Lord is about to pass by." Then a great and powerful wind tore the mountains apart and shattered the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind.  After the wind there was an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake.  After the earthquake came a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire.  And after the fire came a gentle whisper.  I Kings 19:11-12

Seems like the gentle whisper of God creates its own kind of havoc! I think I'll snuggle in and sing a little song.  

 

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this. Beautiful and vulnerable! And it’s my word too this year! Thank you Christine!
Keep blogging