Wednesday, January 18, 2023

I'm a Theme girl: BEHOLD

I love themes.  Themes in my day.  Themes in my thoughts.  Themes in the way God speaks to me.  He's driving home a thought.  Wake up!  Pay attention!  This is important. Christine.....BEHOLD!  

I've come to love this word, BEHOLD.  My church used it as their theme during Advent.  I loved the definition that the pastor used.  He said behold means..."don't miss this"...."Be sure to see this." Apparently, in the King James Version, the word BEHOLD is used over 1,000 times!  There must have been a lot that God didn't want His people to miss.

So when I see themes throughout my day, I try to stop and BEHOLD.

I've been praying through Psalm 57 the last couple of days.  It is a psalm of David that was written when he was hiding from Saul in the caves near the springs of En Gedi.  



  

Saul was out to kill David.  Saul had lost God's anointing and favor as king of Israel.  David had been anointed and called to be the next king.  Saul knew he had messed up.  He was angry and set out to kill David.  David fled to the desert.  Tim and I went to Israel in November 2022.  (a dream come true!)  The above pictures were taken at the springs of En Gedi.  I highly doubt the caves I took a picture of were any that David hid in....but it was fun to imagine!  This spring was amazing...because the desert that surrounded it was the most barren stretch of land I had ever seen...for as far as I could see.  Crazy to imagine that anyone or anything could survive out there...but David sought refuge and safety in this desert.  

"Be gracious to me, O God, be gracious and merciful to me, for my soul finds shelter and safety in You, and in the shadow of Your wings, (speaking my birdy language here!) I will take refuge and be confidently secure until destruction passes by." Psalm 57:1 

David praises His God in the midst of this horrible trial.  He knew that God had promised him the kingdom.  The time just was not right yet.  He never lost faith that God would fulfill what He said He would fulfill.  

"I will cry to God Most High, who accomplishes all things on my behalf [for He completes my purpose in His plan.]" Psalm 57:2

"My heart is steadfast, O God, my heart is steadfast and confident! I will sing praises [to You!] Psalm 57:7

I loved these two verses.  For a lot of months, (an eternity, it feels like) I've felt lost in the silence.  Things I thought were solid, weren't.  What's God's purpose for me?  Do I even have a purpose anymore?  David could have easily felt that way as he hid away in a cave surrounded by the barrenness of the desert.  Instead, he sang as he waited. 

 I'm learning to sing as well; and, my heart is steadfast.  That rang true for me today.  I'm claiming that word: STEADFAST. I'm remembering my little thrush sparrow singing in the storm.  She's steadfast.  She's unmoved.  She's still singing. 

The other part of the story about David hiding in the caves as Saul pursued him?  David was given a prime opportunity to make his problem go away.  While David hid, Saul entered the very cave David was hiding in to relieve himself.  Saul was in a very vulnerable position.  David could have killed him without breaking a sweat.  He chose not to.  Saul lived to pursue David another day.  

I follow this lovely account on Instagram.  The author's (Raised to Stay, Natalie Runion) goal is to encourage people who have been wounded by the church, but choose to remain in the church.  God has gifted her! I'm often encouraged by her posts.  Today, she posted this:

David didn't kill Saul when he had the chance so let that be a lesson to us all that revenge doesn't expedite the promises of God. #raisedtostay

I've been wounded by my church.  God asked me to leave my church, and I went.  He also sent me to another church where He's been slowly stitching me back together.  I am in no way seeking revenge on my former church.  The part that run true for me....nothing expedites the promises of God.  There is nothing I can do....or say...or remove....that will hasten the fulfillment of the plans God has for me.  As my counselor reminded me this week, even if His purpose for me is to help only one....it's more than enough.  

Do you see my themes?  Thank you, Jesus.  

  

 

0 comments: