Tuesday, January 3, 2023

Singing Lessons

Life is hard.  Not a very insightful statement, is it?  Yet sometimes I find myself surprised that life is hard. Again!  I get my panties all in a knot because my comfortable “normalness” has been disturbed and I have to adjust. 


*sigh*

My pastor said not too long ago, that in life, we are either recovering from a crisis, in the midst of a crisis, or about to head into a crisis. That statement rings true, doesn’t it? 

*double sigh*

 A few months ago, my work changed and I got my Fridays off. So. Good. For my soul!  Thank you, Jesus!  That extra day made so much difference in my attitude. The *big* upheavals in my life had sapped me dry and the relief this brought was almost palpable.  I’m pretty sure I cried in relief.  

I celebrated too quickly. I got the news a couple of days ago, with no warning, that Friday work would resume. For. One. Child. One. Not many. Just one. We’d all have to give up our Free Fridays for ONE child. I cried. A gift ripped right out of my hand just as I’d discovered it’s true value. An upheaval. 

Life never stays the same. Something always changes. Don’t sit back too long….because another upheaval is coming. Sometimes they are big upheavals like the death of a parent. Sometimes they are smaller upheavals like adjusting to loss of “free” time. 

In the midst of an upheaval. Recovering from an upheaval. Entering an upheaval. This cycle is the only constant in this life. So why can’t I just find contentment in that fact?  Why do I have to throw a little mental tantrum with every little upheaval?  

I learned a couple of weeks ago about the thrush sparrow. The thrush sparrow sings her most beautiful song in the midst of the worst storms. The harder the storm blows the more beautiful her song. 

Jesus, I want to be like the thrush sparrow.  I don’t want to wail when upheavals come my way (because they will!)  I want to sing my most beautiful song when the storms (big or small!) rage around me.  

Tuck me into the shadow of Your wings, Jesus,  and teach me to sing. 

0 comments: