Sunday, August 19, 2007

A blog....God's Message Board???

I had an interesting thought tonight as I was getting ready for bed. A part of my mental bedtime routine is to kind of review the day. It was a great day, as a matter of fact. We spent a wonderful time at Tilikum enjoying friends, the beautiful "lake," some great food, and lots of fun activities. The kids were amazingly agreeable (excluding a few moments that I am refusing to give up memory space for...or at least I'm trying not to!) and we ended the day with smiles, laughter, and sweet hugs and kisses. Who could ask for anything more?

In my review of the day, I couldn't help but praise God for a good weekend. I can't necessarily say that things were vastly different than any other day....but my perspective seems altered in a way. It seems like I am, as tired as I am, rejoicing in my day, instead of sighing with relief that it is over and I finally have a few moments to myself.

My grandma, Evelyn Piersall, sent me a message after my first entry in my blog. She blessed me in her comments. She told me that I had touched her heart...and maybe...I had a ministry here. I really never thought that my blog could somehow be a ministry. I just thought it would be a way for me to process my days.....maybe get more clarity....and maybe feel like things are more under control than they really are. (yeah...right!)

Truly, I am finding that the one being ministered to in this blog is....ME. I don't even know if anyone is reading any of my meanderings. I am pretty sure that, out of loyalty, my sister is!! (Hi, Sis! Love ya!) But...it doesn't matter. As I am going through my day...I am looking at things in a different way. What is the positive side of this? How could I turn this moment into a knee-slapping moment that might cause someone to chuckle? As a result, it feels like I am more relaxed in those stressful moments. I am not so wrapped up in it that I can take a moment and just think.

For example, today at Tilikum, Caden had wanted me to go with him up to the Tree House. Well...I was in the middle of a conversation and I told him I would be there in a minute. Of course, the conversation was a little more in depth than I anticipated and then it was clean up time. Got a little involved in that....and to be honest...I kind of forgot my little casual promise. As I was walking out to the van, I met Caden on the way back from the Tree House. Oh man....Mama was in some HOT water. He was sulking and grumbling and pretty soon he was crying hysterically, completely out of control. Typically, I don't handle that very well. It drives me literally up the wall....especially when his response is way over-the-top. This time, I just kind of stood there and watched him a while....and thought about what really needed to happen. I had made a promise...somewhat casually....but I had told him I would be there. So...we headed back up to the tree house. He quickly recovered...we had some great moments....and everyone else was OK with that.

OK....back to how this blog is ministering to me. I am feeling like God is talking to me as I write. My story yesterday about my little goofy moment with the boys was really meant to just be goofy. By the time I was done writing it....I had given myself this little sermon...and I felt blessed. I kind of thought...wow...how did that happen? How did I get so preachy? It was suppose to be fun...not preachy. But...I felt good. I felt a joy in being reminded of the blessing of making laughter with my kids.

I am also finding that my thoughts about my blog, and how my thoughts are redirected because of it, that other things that were, in all honesty, taking time away from my family, don't mean so much any more. All this has happened in just 3 days. I wonder what God will change in me and tell me in the days to come. I'm kind of excited to see what God's gonna do!

So...no....this isn't God's message board for you. It God's Message Board for ME. And, quite frankly, I'm having a blast!

3 comments:

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

You're a blessing to me!! Don't forget it!!!

P.S. how did I get to be "Julie Z" on your list of links!!! LOL

Julie

Christine said...

I used the Z to distinguish you from any other Julie. Guess I didn't want to use any form of your last name. Besides, aren't you a little "Zaney?"

Thanks for your comment.....

Tresa said...

I'm famous! You mentioned my name in your blog! YAHOO!

Just know that I'm reading, not out of "loyalty", but out of love and enjoyment! It's fun to hear your thoughts...and love the stories about the kids! It makes me feel closer than the 400 miles that separate our homes.

Love you!