Saturday, August 18, 2007

Looking for Treasures

There is something that I have noticed in the last few hours since I have started this blog....that my mind is drawn to the little things. My friend, Kristin, made a comment on my last post that really rang true. She said: " ...you'd be amazed at the little things that happen to you that you'll then find yourself saying, "I need to blog about that!"
The thing about that....is that I like that. Doesn't it seem to you that the grumpy, whiny, get-on-my-nerve things of life always seem to scream at you and demands your attention and commandeers your memory banks? If that doesn't seem to happen to you...consider yourself blessed!! But today....I had a small don't-blink-your-eye moment with my boys that reminded me to stop....here is a moment of pleasure to lock away in your memory for days when things get a little hairy. And why did that moment tell me to stop? Because I have been so excited to post another entry in my blog!! Isn't that great how God uses a silly thing like a blog to remind me to focus on the little simple pleasure he plants along side the way.

By now, you are probably saying..."Enough already....get on with it, would ya!!" So...here we are on a Saturday morning....picture the house in disarray (or maybe don't picture that) from dumping everything last night after coming in from watching Curious George in the park last night. I'm starting the pick up process because the chaos drives me a little batty. Grumble...grumble....one of the boys left a blanket in the middle of the hall. I pick it up and Luke (my youngest), who is so full of zest for life, comes running at me for something....I don't remember what. So I throw the blanket in his face and it knocks him flat. Peals of laughter come rolling out...granted...at little bit muffled...but you can definitely hear that he's giggling. Instantly his head pops out and yells..."Do it again, Mom, do it again." So..what does he do? He stands straight up, arms at his side, (oh....did I mention that he is also stark naked?) his eyes are wide with barely contained excitement, his body quivering, anticipating the big ol' clobber in the face. Pow! Same blanket slams into his face and knocks him flat again....same laughter...same request to do it again. Now, Grumpy Older Brother, aka Caden, notices the fun and pretty soon I am getting two for the price of one. What could be better?

Don't we all need a reminder every once in a while to just stop...and notice the treasures that God has placed in our path. Even as I was typing this out, Luke comes in, still naked, (I know...bad mama!) and starts another game with me, begging for me to throw him on the couch. How could I resist? Another moment of stolen pleasure amongst the messes of life.

I read a cool little story in my devotions the other day. I have been reading "Breaking Free" by Beth Moore. I will share it in a moment....but I was reminded of it as I was writing this out. This moment...this silly, little, gone-in-a flash moment was a treasure given to me by God...for this day...this hour....this moment. All I needed to do was focus on the little things...the little things that might just be fun to post on a blog.

Here is that story....Remember to look for your own treasures....

Imagine going to heaven and standing by God as He lovingly shows you the calendar of His plan for your earthly life. It begins with the day you are born. Once you received Christ as Savior, every day that follows is outlined in red. You see footprints walking through each day of each week of your life. On many of the days, two sets of footprints appear. You inquire: "Father, are those my footprints on the calendar every day and is the second set of prints when you joined me?"

He answers, "No, My precious Child. The consistent footprints on your calendar are Mine. The second set of footprints are when you joined Me."

"Where were You going, Father?"

"To the destiny I planned for you, hoping you'd follow."

"But, Father, where are my footprints all those times?"

He answers, "Sometimes you went back to look at old resentments and habits while I was still going forward, hoping you'd join Me. Sometimes, you departed from My path and chose your own calendar instead. Other times, your footprints can even be seen in another person's calendar because you thought you liked their plan better. At other times, you simply stopped because you would not let go of something you could not take to the next day."

"But, Father, we ended up OK even if I didn't walk with You everyday, didn't we?"

He holds you close and smiles, "Yes, Child, we ended up OK. But, you see, OK was never what I had in mind for you."

"Father, what are those golden treasure boxes on certain days?"

"Blessings, My child, I had for you along the way. Those that are open are those you received. Those still closed were days you did not walk with Me."

1 comments:

Tresa said...

The moment with the boys sounds precious. We have to take note of those moments and rejoice! Give them some love from their Auntie! Daria too! <3

I enjoyed being reminded of that story from Beth Moore. Thanks for sharing!

Love you, Sis!