Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Just call me WONDERMOM!

There is nothing like camping primitive style and doing it well that makes one feel like she can take on the world. With my head lifted high, my chest puffed out, I can, with confidence claim.....I CAN DO IT ALL! Bring it on....there is nothing this mama can't do.

Okay...maybe that sounds a little conceited....but I had a very empowering weekend. Last week, when I was in complete Martyr Mode, I am not sure that I would have come back claiming that there is nothing that can hold me down. But...I can claim that now. Oh, yeah, baby!

I remember having these feelings last year. We camped way primitive last year. We were just pulled off a dirt road and camped. There was NO water to be found anywhere. We had one jug of water and that was to last us the weekend. We did, on the other hand, have lots of dirt. That is always fun. I remember thinking last year, that "Man...this is cool....I can camp, and have a good time, without all the amenities of a trailer. And...I can do it well!" The only thing that got me down last year was the overwhelming bad attitudes of my children. I tried with all that was in me to make it a good experience....but....nope....my children refused all efforts. It was a hard weekend and I came home mad at my husband for spending all his lousy time tracking down innocent, beautiful elk.

This year, Tim still spent his time tracking on the innocent elk. (By God's grace and my divinely guided prayers, he didn't kill any this year....again. He did shoot at 2....and came away with two less arrows. Poor Tim.) But, for the kids and I, we were in a MUCH better location. We arrived Friday night to find that the camp had given away our campsite. I was a little disappointed because it looked like the site they gave us was right in the middle of everything. I think that God was smiling on us, because the site that we ended up with really turned out nice. It was right in the middle of about 4-5 big trees so we were in the shade most of the day. We were just mere feet away from the play area for the campground. This ended up being a blessing in disguise. My kids played for hours on end and when the day was over they fell straight into bed with nary a giggle.

What was so empowering to me was that I feel like I accomplished this weekend pretty much on my own. I pretty much got us all packed up and ready to go. Granted I didn't load the stuff into the utility trailer...that would have been pointless...because my engineering husband would have just redone it. Which is essentially what happened. After he arrived home, I started hauling things down to be put in the trailer. Sure enough....everything was moved. Oh well....true to form. I also set up the site by myself. We arrived at about dark time on Friday. So, Tim and his brother set up the tent....we got the kids ready for bed...and went to sleep. The next day he was gone all day....so I finished digging things out of the trailer and setting up life.

So...I watched three kids....fed three kids...entertained three kids....all weekend long. We had a good time. We even got to spend quite a few hours with Tim on Sunday....so that was a bonus. He even took the kids on a little "mini" hike while I cleaned up lunch stuff. I managed to have about 20 minutes or so to read with no one around. Bliss. Monday....I pretty much broke down the camp by myself. There were a few things that I hadn't done by myself before....so I got things as done as I could. Tim took notice. That felt good. And I felt like I could take on the world. I CAN do it all!!

The redeeming thing....we got home last night around 6:20. I had a meeting at 7:00. I had just enough time to change my clothes....put on some make-up....sketch out an outline for my meeting...and I was gone. Tim had to unpack by himself. Granted....the food basket was left on the counter....bags of clothes dumped in the bedrooms....laundry cascading out of the baskets. But...he emptied the van by himself.

It feels a little bit like justice. A little.

0 comments: