Friday, August 17, 2007

What is in a name?

Have you every considered the whys behind the name of a blog? I have been considering a blog for a couple of weeks. Never really had thought about it before. Never thought I had much that anyone would be interested in reading. A couple of weeks ago, though, I was blessed by a post on someone's blog. After I read that blog several times over, I thought about what I would write in a blog. Hmmmm....maybe it didn't matter if anyone was interested in reading my blog. Maybe the writing of the blog would serve a pupose for the writer herself. Maybe in mapping it out into words, my life would gain a clarity and a purpose that went beyond just the mulling around in a distracted mind.

Anyway...I digress. My original thought on this post was to discuss the name of blogs. As I considered what to name my blog, I read on Blogspot's home page that one would need to be creative in finding a name. Creative? I also was struck on how much a blog title can sum up a life. One name that I considered was "Clinging to Hope." Why? Because at times, I feel like to get through my day, I am clinging to the Hope that my struggles aren't in vain. That name was taken....by a gentleman who looked like he was struggling with the loss of a relationship. He certainly wasn't clinging to the same Hope that I cling to.

I also considered a variation on my own blog's name. I tried "His Eye is on the Sparrow." (I will tell you in a moment why I chose this name. Hang with me a moment!) That particular name was taken....by a woman who is currently fighting cancer. Wow...what a profound thought....His eye is in that Sparrow.

As I thought about the names of blogs started by my friends....they all chose a title that somehow described their lives....or their identities. One particular favorite of mine is "Sprinkles on my Ice cream:
My thoughts on the "stuff" in my life or the "sprinkles on my ice cream" (Shout out to Kim!!) Isn't that a fabulous thought? I need that reminder every once in a while....that the stuff that bugs me sometimes is really Jesus adding a little pizazz to my ice cream. Thank you, Jesus.

Another friend of mine has titled her blog the Journey. (Shout out to Zaney Julie!) How appropriate is that? Each day and each hour is a journey. We never quite reach our destination here on earth...we keep pressing on to the next step and phase of our life until Jesus calls us home.

So. How could I find a name that truly signified my life? I thought of "When We All Get to Heaven." Why? Because every time I think of that song, I think of my grandma, Willa Piersall. I will get to rejoice with her some day. I decided not to use that name because it was WAY TO LONG....and really....I need to live in the now...loving my family....serving my Jesus. My blog is about my Now.

I also thought about using Glimpses of Him. My children are all Glimpses of Him...and everyday I need to be looking for Glimpses of Him...otherwise I might just go insane! Another name considered was Hanging on to Jesus. There are times that I feel like all I am doing to survive is Hanging on to Jesus. Or...I considered The Hope I Cling to. Yet that one didn't ring exactly true, either. I don't want to feel like all I am doing is clinging to hope....I want to be victorious in the Hope that I have in Jesus.

The wining choice, as you now know, is For His Eye is on the Sparrow. I know....really close to the lady with cancer. No....I am not fighting cancer. But...I really love that song. It became particularly special this year after the death of my grandpa, Wayne Piersall. The song is beautiful. Read for yourself.....

Why should I feel discouraged, why should the shadows come,
Why should my heart be lonely, and long for heaven and home,
When Jesus is my portion? My constant friend is He:
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

I sing because I’m happy,
I sing because I’m free,
For His eye is on the sparrow,
And I know He watches me.

“Let not your heart be troubled,” His tender word I hear,
And resting on His goodness, I lose my doubts and fears;
Though by the path He leadeth, but one step I may see;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.

Refrain

Whenever I am tempted, whenever clouds arise,
When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies,
I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me;
His eye is on the sparrow, and I know He watches me.


There are some pretty cool promises in this song. Why should my heart be lonely...my constant friend is He. And resting on His goodness...I lose my doubts and fears. When songs give place to sighing, when hope within me dies, I draw the closer to Him, from care He sets me free.

I sing because I am happy.
I sing because I'm free.
His Eye is on the Sparrow and I know He watches me.

Oh...I need to be reminded of all that....often. I forget those things sometimes.....then darkness comes in. But when Jesus is there....darkness tries to hide and all within me wants to sing How Great is Our God!! Sing with me....How great is Our God!!

Okay....I am getting corny here....but sometimes I just have to get a little crazy with my praise. Here I am starting a blog. I am sure that at times my thoughts will wander....but they will never wander far from Him. In closing....I am going to add the little story that my grandpa, Wayne Piersall always told with this song. It is precious in my memories.....

Said the robin to the sparrow,
"I should really like to know,
Why those busy human beings,
Rush about and worry so!"

Said the sparrow to the robin,
"Do you think that it could be,
That they have no Heavenly Father,
Such as cares for you and me!"

3 comments:

Candi said...

Great first post!! The name is great. Welcome to the blogging world!!

The Pastor of a Small Rural Church said...

Welcome to the blog world!!!

Awesome entry!!! I love your title!!

Julie

Kristin said...

Welcome my friend!

And you don't need to worry about what to blog about...Just having kids always provides interesting blog material.

Also you'd be amazed at the little things that happen to you that you'll then find yourself saying, "I need to blog about that!"

K~