Monday, October 13, 2008

Grateful

Well, we are closing in on the halfway mark of October. 8 games remain in our outdoor soccer season. In that regard, I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes, though, it is in the final stretch that things seem to be difficult. I can definitely tell that I'm a little worn around the edges with our schedule....and life in general.

I must admit, though, there has been good that has come out of the craziness in our schedules. The big thing is that I've discovered a homework routine that works for us. I was hopeful that that would occur. I've also learned that I can handle more than I thought that I was capable of. Granted, I haven't been the happiest with my load....but I'm proud of myself!! Giving myself a big ol' pat on the back right now.

Yet, today, when I am weary....when I look around my house and see all the stuff that has been neglected for longer than it should be...I need to take note of these things. The things yet to do seem insurmountable.....but I need to take a look behind at the things that I have done. And be grateful.

Today, as I pulled into my driveway after running an errand, I was reminded of another thing that I have been so grateful for. My home. This past week, a house in the Portland area literally slid down the hill....with the homeowner inside. Thankfully, she survived. But her house....and another house that was hit, are destroyed. Along with them, several other homes are listed as unsafe.

Craziness. Devastating craziness.

So, when I look at my home, with all the projects that need to be accomplished, I have to be grateful. Grateful that my home does not reside on a hillside....or next to a flooding stream....or in hurricane or earthquake territory. I suppose that any one of those natural catastrophes could happen....but they aren't terribly likely. And I am so grateful.

So, I am reminded....be grateful. Be grateful that I have a home that needs cleaned, painted, organized, and put back together. I needed to tell myself that today when my load was beginning to drag me down again. Yes. I am grateful.

0 comments: