Monday, January 12, 2009

Captive Thoughts

I love how God's timing is perfect. He always knows exactly what we need right when we need it. He was faithful that way this morning for my devotions.

It seems as soon as I posted my encouraged thoughts about Luke and our "schooling" business, Satan got down and got dirty, messing with my confidence. I believe that I posted about our successes on Wednesday. On Thursday, our "school" didn't go so great. I saw Luke shutting down like he was doing during real school.

I was so discouraged. I didn't know what to say. Or what to do. I just sat there looking at the book. I wanted to cry. I was so hoping that we could just continue on in that honeymoon phase. Luke would learn his letters and numbers and we would have VICTORY over this mess. I guess that I was smacked down to reality. Reminded that our goal is not to "win the universe," but to just take it one milestone at a time.

Yet, Satan had gained, or rather regained, a foothold on Thursday. There was a small part of me that just wanted to throw in the towel. I could feel the weight of the discouragement of the last few months coming back. I began to believe again that my son would never learn....that the consequences of my words would have victory.

Today, in my devotions, I read 2 Corinthians 10:5: "We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ." There have been a lot of arguments that have set itself against God's word. My promise for Luke has been: "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." Ephesians 2:10. These thoughts that my son...or rather I...would fail stands against God's knowledge. I have been claiming 2 Corinthians 10:5 as my mantra for my time with Luke

I was nervous about "school" today. Sure enough, Luke was resistant about it. He wouldn't even give an attempt at naming the letters we worked on last week. Even as he worked through that, and I attempted some new thoughts to end on, he ran to his room and hid. He said he wasn't going to do it. I started to panic....but decided that I was going to demolish that argument and make my thoughts obedient to Christ.

Today has stepped up my prayers for my son. I find that I am having to lay him at the feet of Jesus at every thought. God knows my son. Luke is God's workmanship. Things will come in God's timing and in His ways. Not mine. Maybe this time of Luke's "homeschooling" is as much for me...as for him.

Maybe God continue to equip Luke and I for this time together.

1 comments:

Heasleye said...

Ahhh...yes..."maybe this time of Luke's homeschooling is as much for me as for him." I can not tell you how many times that realization has hit me!! I still struggle with this, and so I appreciate the Scripture you shared today. "Captive thoughts" should be my theme for the year! Blessings to you as you persevere!