Thursday, July 17, 2008

Evil Willamette Mutant Fish

It is amazing to me that two people can look at the same piece of scenery and come away with two totally different perspectives.

I took a friend to the Willamette River tonight. It was in the evening hours and the river was so calm and peaceful. I could have sat on the dock all evening, soaking in the moment. It was so beautiful. The water was calm...and even warm. In fact, if the evening had been a little warmer, I would have jumped right in. I was a little envious, at that moment, of the beautiful homes that overlooked the river. They have a priceless view!

Now, my friend on the other hand....could hardly stand to sit too close to the edge of the dock. The water was gross...and in her opinion, you couldn't see more than two inches past the surface. She wouldn't even look as I stuck my foot in several inches....and I could still see it!! Shock. Yes...the Willamette River is not the cleanest river in the world. I certainly wouldn't go drinking a big ol' glass of it. But, there is no problem with putting my foot in the water. I managed to come home and have no mutant growths sprouting over my foot.

Oh the things that we miss when we limit our points of view. Which is the better way to live? To live on a little on the edge, dipping our toes into new experiences....or do we sit in the middle afraid of the unknown? Or even afraid of the things that live only in our imaginations? You do realize that the Willamette River is flowing with Evil Willamette Mutant Fish. They like to nibble on toes that dangle from docks. They lurk in the murky depths just waiting for some unsuspecting fool to jump right in. I think they have even been known to walk on land and jump out of the bushes to capture only a few unsuspecting souls.

Maybe life is really what we make it. Either life is an adventure....or a horror movie.....all in how we look at it. Kind of an interesting thought for me tonight.

(This one is for you, Lindsay! )

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL! You would not have jumped in! You know all too well the evil Willamette mutant fish would soooo have gotten you!

Anonymous said...

OH! And, if you recall, I did put my feet over the edge of the dock at some point. So, HAH!

Shelley said...

Well written thought--I like it!