Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Riding with the Big Boys

While we were at Hayden Creek playing, my nephew, Kyle, wanted to take a little ride on one of the motorcycles. With it being his first time to attempt to ride by himself, his parents, and Grammy, decided that riding on the dirt roads would not be the best of ideas. He wasn't too pleased to wait....but it was a good thing.

As soon as we got home from the creek, Kyle's dad helped him ride in the grass of the backyard. But, after dumping it only once (they're heavy!!) He did really well. It was fun to watch him gradually gain confidence. At first, he didn't want to learn how pop it out of first gear...or ride it down the driveway. Pretty soon, he wanted his dad to show him how to shift gears and then he was roaring around the backyard. By the time dinner was ready, he had driven it down the driveway. I'm pretty sure that he was on cloud nine.


Daria is never one to be left out of privileges. She begged and begged for Tim and I to allow her to attempt to ride the bikes too. Of course we said no. I'm not even sure she could hold it up on her own. Kyle is two years older and it was difficult for him. I told her to wait another year or two. (besides....I wasn't quite ready for that!!) She was finally content to take a ride around the yard with her dad.

The boys, of course, refuse to be outdone by their older sister. They were quickly clamoring for their turn to ride with Dad, too. Dad was quite willing to oblige.



Once Luke was on, he didn't find it nearly as thrilling as it appeared. When we told him he had to keep his feet up, or he would get burned by the exhaust pipe, the glory of the ride had lost its luster. Two trips around the yard were enough for him.

I was fine with that. I'm not sure how I feel about my boys getting interested in motorcycles. I would really prefer that they live to a ripe ol' age...and with all their body parts intact.

Who knew it could be so difficult to let my boys grow up?

0 comments: