Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Memories for a Lifetime

When I think back over the many experiences of my childhood, I think some of the best ones come from attending our church camp. It wasn't one of these fancy-schmancy camps, but I remember having a blast. Those were also some of the most profound spiritual times of my childhood, as well. So, when I became pregnant with Daria, I remember telling Tim to brace himself....we were sending our kids to camp when the time came. He had a good 6 years to prepare himself for the expense.

Daria and Caden had the pleasure of attending Tilikum last week. They would come home tired, dirty, completely exhausted, and a tad crabby....but they had a good time. I can hardly wait for Luke to have his opportunity next Summer when he is entering the first grade. Tilikum will be completely up his alley! Caden wasn't so sure about camp last year before he had any experience with it. This year...he was raring to go. He was so excited that he was the first kid at our church to finish memorizing his scriptures that qualified him for a scholarship. He could hardly wait.

The extra fun thing about Tilikum is Family Fun Night. It is always so much fun to go up and experience a small taste of what the kids do each day. Even though our family has been up there a number of times, my kids still can hardly contain themselves as they dash to show us their favorite parts. Tilikum has a pretty big campus so it is hard to get to all the places. Inevitably, someone is disappointed that we didn't make it to one part or the other. We sure give it a valiant effort anyway!

This year, Daria and Caden had the fun of having a couple of cousins attend Tilikum at the same time. They weren't in the same groups, but they got to see each other fairly often, too. We did get to go to Family Night together, so some of our pictures include them.

A big part of the fun at Tilikum is the great lake there at the camp. It really is a wonderful place to swim. Boating is also a lot of fun. My kids love going out in the canoe and riding in the raft. Fun!! On family night, Caden got to take a canoe ride with Aunt Cindy and cousin Marcus.


Another favorite Tilikum place is the big Tree House. It is pretty cool. They have a rope bridge that the kids love to conquer. They also have a rock climbing wall. It was amazing to watch Caden scale that thing like a monkey. He was amazing!! Luke particularly like the rope bridge and had fun crossing several times.

Daria, of course, believes that she is the best and had to show off her skills as well.


Caden, of course, refuses to be outdone by his siblings.

I also enjoy getting to meet the staff people that help to make my kids' experiences a blessing. I am not sure why I always get so teary-eyed when people tell me how special my shy little man can be. One little comment and I find myself fighting back the tears. Crazy...but it sure is sweet to hear. Caden was so excited to get a picture with Suds, his staff person, but once it got down to doing it...he was so shy! We managed to get a good picture anyway.....

I love camp. It is such a special time in life. In my opinion, it is worth every penny to make these incredible memories for a lifetime.

0 comments: