Monday, July 14, 2008

Gag Me!

Disclaimer: All content of this post is the responsibility of Tim. If you become gagged out on this post, do not blame me. Send all complaints to Tim. Do not, I repeat, do not shoot the messenger. If you are squeamish at all, please stop here. Consider yourselves warned.

When we moved into this house 4 years ago, I was thrilled that I was finally in a house with a true foundation. Our previous home was a manufactured home and it seemed to have an open invitation to all critters. Particularly mice. It was just gross. I have a particular memory to being awakened in the early morning hours to a trap going off and hearing a mouse flopping through its death throes. Gag. Tim thought it was so funny that he taught two-year-0ld Daria to do the "Floppity Mouse." She would throw her self on the ground and flop her legs around. She was cute....the memory of the mouse was not. Now, I know that homes on foundations are not exempt from getting critters....but my impression has always been that the likelihood was less. Until a couple of weeks ago, that proved true for ours.

While attempting to get things in order for our vacation, I was doing a little cleaning. It was then that I found a lot of Mouse Rice behind our couch. WHAT???? Of all places to find evidence. Yuck. I moved our couch out and gave a thorough cleaning under there. Tim set the traps out for a couple of night...and nothing. Then we left on vacation. I was hoping that with a week of absence, the mouse would somehow disappear. (Die.)

When we came home, I checked around and found a little more mouse rice. Not much, considering it had been a whole week. I cleaned it up and checked every day. I didn't seem to find any more. Good news. Then two nights ago, while we were sitting on the couch, Tim sees a mouse dash into the kitchen from the direction of the stairs. YUCK. Gag me. Out came the traps again. The first night, we put peanut butter on it. Nothing. It just looked like the mouse had a tasty little treat as he licked it off. Darn.

Then comes last night. We pulled out the big guns and used peanut butter and cheese. I was fearful last night that I would wake up again to hearing some mouse flopping to his death. Needless to say, I didn't sleep very well at all last night. So, when Tim headed off to work this morning, I asked him if he'd caught anything. He gets this devilish look on his face and says, "Maybe."

Victory, I thought. Yeah. So, I get up and get ready for the day. I turn on my computer and this is what I see:

My precious husband decided to take a picture of our little house guest and placed it as our wallpaper on our computer. So here is this LARGE, beady-eyed bugger staring at me this morning. If he'd been around, I'd have been tempted to slap him. He practically dared me to post this on my blog. So that is why I did. Here is his response to my tirade about the picture: "I thought your blogees might get a kick out of real every day occurrences so I
got you a picture. Love ya!!!" See. This post is all Tim's fault. Blame him.

I am seriously hoping that this mouse was a one-mouse show. I don't know how it got in here. It could have been the time that the front door got left open for several hours while we were gone a couple of weeks ago. I've been checking around for other signs....but haven't seen much. Please, please, please....let this be the only one.

Yech. Gag me.

2 comments:

Candi said...

Oh my word, Kippy----I'm not very squeamish, so I find it funny!!

Shelley said...

It's...it's...kinda cute. And hilarious. TIm is funny. I'm cracking up. What a good joke--I' rather have a picture than the real think on my computer!