Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Hayden Creek

Having lived outside of North Idaho for the last many years, I had kind of forgotten how glorious it is up here. Within just a few miles of my parents' home, there is just endless opportunities to enjoy God's glorious earth. God really did a good job when He made our earth. It is a lot of fun to enjoy it. Thank you, God!!

Today, we traveled just a few miles away to enjoy Hayden Creek. It is just a haven for all kinds of outdoor fun. I remember in years past riding motorcycles up in all the mountain roads up there. It is fun for that. There are several areas where people have apparently set up target practice with their guns. The ground is just glittering with used bullet casings and shattered glass. The glass bothers me. Even where we pulled off to play, the ground was littered with broken glass. I was very worried that the kids would slice their bare feet if they walked too far away from the creek without shoes. Poor respect for a beautiful area....in my opinion.

We still had fun though. The guys were going to take out the motorcycles and four-wheeler for a ride while the women and children played in the creek. BUT....on the way there, the bike Tim was riding developed some issues....and they couldn't get the four-wheeler started again. So, we ended up just enjoying the beauty and water as a family. I think the boys still managed to have a good time.



And how can you be playing in a creek without building a dam? Daria and Tim spent some time sort of making a dam. They didn't go all the way across the creek. Daria declared that she was making a calm spot for the fish to settle into. We did see a little 2 inch guy that Kyle attempted to catch....but he was a quick little bugger. I think Kyle actually touched it once. Eeewww!

There was a little mini waterfall where we had set up our little spot. It was fun to watch and attempt to cross there. The current was pretty strong so we were cautious. Caden lost his flip flop there and it was hilarious watching him attempt to rescue his shoe. He almost fell in once.


Being the mom that I am, I couldn't just wait for my son to tumble into the current, (not that the water is very deep....but it is moving!), I decided that I needed to help. I handed him a stick....and SUCCESS!!


Daria was the only one who was brave enough to wade out to the edge of the water fall and sit in the water. The water is COLD!!! I think I gasped just about every time I took a step into the creek. If you were in there for any length of time, your toes got numb. Daria didn't seem to mind, though.

We ended the day with a little marshmallow roast in Mom and Dad's back yard....and some night time frisbee.




I would have to say that it was another successful day. Tired kids. Tired parents. Tired grandparents.

Lots of great memories.

0 comments: