Tuesday, September 30, 2008

"Cool" apparently is all in the eyes of the beholder

A year ago, Daria picked out the above backpack for her school usage. But....after the first day of school, the backpack proved too small for her needs. I was a little bummed because, really, it is an adorable backpack. For the last year, it has sat in the back of the closet waiting for someone to claim it.

This summer, Daria was in need of a backpack to haul her water back and forth to soccer practice. I thought, "Perfect. That cute little backpack will now have a good use." Oh, you would have thought that I was punishing her for the worst crimes for having her use that backpack. The drama that carried on every day was crazy. She finally settled on an old backpack with a broken zipper. To her, it was way better than the adorable, pink and black, sparkly Hello Kitty backpack.

A couple of weeks ago, I was talking with my friend, Lindsay. She is currently in The Know about what is cool and what isn't. She wanted me to tell Daria that her current back was cool. So, I shared with Lindsay about the Hello Kitty backpack. She looked at me like I was straight out of the Ice Age or something. Like...of course...Daria shouldn't use the Hello Kitty backpack....it is...like...so totally not cool.

Fast forward to my Women's Retreat that I went to this weekend. I needed to bag to carry my bible and stuff around the camp. So, I took Daria's beautiful and unused Hello Kitty bag. I am going on the record to say that all my friends at Retreat thought that my backpack was totally cool. I think that if I had left it unattended for a few minutes, they may have ran off with it. If the chips were in my favor, I may have even been able to "trade up!" Not that I would have wanted to, mind you.

So, Lindsay, I am cool....and so is my backpack. Though, when Daria saw the picture of the backpack on my blog, she said "HEY....that's my backpack!"

Whatever.

0 comments: