Monday, September 22, 2008

Heart of a Lion

A lot of the time, the stuff that I write on this blog are for my own sake. In many ways, my blog has become a treasure. I put things in here that I alone want to remember. I probably should make a back up of it somewhere just in case something happens and the words that I have written are gone forever.

Sometimes when I write something out, it describes my thoughts and feelings in the moment. When I type them out, especially if it is something regarding my children, I hope that my children will read it someday and maybe see a side of themselves, or me, that they hadn't considered before.

I have mentioned before that I love to watch Daria play soccer. She seems to take on a whole new persona when she is out there on the field. I see in her the confidence, grace, and maturity that I am sure will surround her as she grows into the woman that God is calling her to be. I often sit there amazed at, being only 9 years old, how she seems to comprehend the game, what needs to happen, and her complete confidence in getting it done. My thoughts are so hard to describe. She just seems to exude a confidence beyond her years. It is like I get a glimpse into her future when she is out there.

This morning, when I checked our email, there was a message for Daria from one of her coaches. The game yesterday was a tough one and the girls on the other team were pretty aggressive. Daria seemed to take it in stride and played an excellent game. As I read the message from Daria's coach, I instantly teared up. I guess that it just spoke to the pride in my Mama's heart. It resonated with the thoughts that swirl in my mind about my girlie and her abilities. Here is the message that her coach sent:

Dear Daria,

I could see at today's game that the elbowing and shoving started to
push a few of your buttons. I also saw in your eyes that this only
made you more focused and determined to not let them get the
better of you. You showed me today you have the heart of a lion, and
the spirit of a warrior. Well done...

PS, awesome goals.

TEA


Daria just ate up his words this morning.

Yesterday, on the way home from the game, Daria had asked me if playing on her player development team was too hard for her. I was a little surprised at her question because she had played so well, as always. She told me that she heard a mother from the other team say that she (meaning Daria) shouldn't be playing PDP. I reassured her that that mom had no reason to say such a thing.

I thought it was so timely, maybe even God timely, that her coach thought to encourage Daria today. It made me so aware of how thankful I am for the coaches that she has. Daria's team may not be the best ones out there; but, I have watched enough games, and teams with coaches who come across harsh and unfeeling, that I am very thankful for Daria's coaches. Her skills and her confidence has just seemed to explode this year.

And it is so fun to watch.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love reading the stories you share about your children and soccer! Your dad gave me you site and I have been checking in once in a while. Cheer those kids on for us! Louise