Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Being Broadsided

I think the Lord has been trying to get my attention lately. I must admit that He has been hinting at me for quite some time. I must not have been responding accordingly.... it seems like lately that He has really been driving home a thought to me.

I have always been a negative person. The glass is always half-empty. Things will never get better. La de da de da. I know that I have needed to work on this. But it is so hard. How do you really change a lifelong habit? Lately, it seems like my negativity has been getting the best of me. I really haven't been the wife and mom that I really want to be. How in the world do you change?

I bought an i Pod recently. I used my Christmas money. I have noticed that my negativity seems to skyrocket when I step away from the computer. It is so easy to drown my loneliness and "sadness" by immersing myself in the lives of others. Then when I would walk away from the computer, I would have to face myself. (Hmmmm...that's fun.) I decided that listening to praise songs and such while I did my chores would help take the focus off of me, and put it where it really should be. I have been using my i Pod for about a week now....I think it has been helping.

It is interesting, though, the things that have happened in the last week. I was introduced to Nate, Tricia, and Gwyneth's story and I began to pay attention to the blessings in my own life more. Then, on Sunday, during Sunday School class, we have been studying our faith in relationship to our health. This Sunday's topic was "Attitude and Humor." We talked a lot about being thankful (yeah for Thankful Thursdays!!) and about finding humor in our lives and how that can heal us in many ways. Then, while I was doing nursery duty during the church, I noticed that our sermon title was "Count Your Sprinkles." From what I could gather, I assumed it was about counting the blessings in your life. I think I need to get a copy of that sermon so that I can hear it for myself!! My devotions today were about "Counting your Sprinkles." I am a little behind in the "Fruit of the Vine" devotional that our church passes out. I'm guessing that is where our pastor got that idea!!

So, would you agree with me that God is broadsiding me a bit? Wake up, Christine!! God's talking to you right now!! Get your eyes off your little window of the world, look around, be thankful, and laugh!!

I'm hoping that I am catching the clue. (Somebody's home, McFly!) I'm taking the time to notice the sprinkles in my life. My life is pretty colorful, I must say. Tastes pretty good, too. My boundaries definitely lie in pleasant places.

Thank you, Jesus.

0 comments: