Friday, January 18, 2008

More Moves Than a Bowl of Jell-o

My kids have contracted American Gladiator fever. This ultra-hyped, ego-filled, grunt-like-Tim-Allen show is really quite amusing to watch. My kids have literally been glued to the computer watching past episodes on-line. They love it! They typically pick a color and root and cheer for them. I had to laugh at the boys today as they were literally standing up on their chairs yelling: "Go, Blue Team, you can do it. Come on. You can do it! Yeah! Good job!" They were just as bad as the crowd screaming and cheering on the contenders. If you haven't checked it out, you really should take a look.

One of the new hosts for American Gladiator is Hulk Hogan. He is one of those American icons that we know all too well. Talk about ego. He defines ego. I have often wondered how he talks in real life. On TV, he sounds like he is over-dosed on testosterone. As the kids were watching the show today, I got a huge laugh out of this one line that came out of Hulk's mouth. He said: "Dude, you had more moves up there than a bowl of jell-o." Are you serious???? Did you make that up yourself, or are your writers playing you for a fool? Of course, I wonder how many people could pick that line up as he says it in his best "Ego" voice surrounded by screaming, cheering fans. And who would call him out on a cheesy line like that? (I guess, Me. But only in the private world of my little blog!!)

I think the only reason that I remember that precious little verbal gem is because it perfectly fit my son today. Caden and Daria had a field trip to the Sherwood Ice Arena today. Caden had been fretting over this field trip for days. He was almost in tears the other day when I picked him up from school because he didn't know how to skate. Every day we would have a discussion similar to this:

Caden: "Mom, I don't know how to skate."

Mom: "It's okay, Caden, just do your best."

Caden: "But, Mom, I don't know how to skate."

Mom: "It's okay, Caden, they'll teach you."

Caden: "But, Mom, I don't know how to skate."

Mom: "It's okay, Caden, just stick to your parent helper."

Caden: "But, Mom, I don't know how to skate."

Mom: "CADEN. IT'S. OKAY. JUST DO YOUR BEST."

And around we would go. So, I was really curious how today was going to go. Caden really wanted me to be there to watch, but I had a meeting with a teacher about the school garden for this year. He didn't say a word as I introduced him to his parent helper. I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall to watch his first few steps on the ice.

Anyway, after the meeting, I was able to go to the ice rink to watch the last hour or so of their field trip. I thought for sure that I would see Caden either huddled on the benches or desperately clinging to a parent. Who did I see huddled miserably on the benches? Daria. After a few moments of drama, making sure that Mom fully realized how miserable she was, she decided that she needed to get back on the ice and do some showing off for Mom. Yeah, yeah. I already knew that she knew how to skate. Once on the ice again, she clearly looked like she was having a grand time.

So, I had to go on a mission to find Caden. Where did I find him? On the ice. On his own. Doing pretty good as a matter of fact. It was fun to watch him before he saw that I was there. He was doing pretty good scooting around on the ice. Every once in a while, he would shimmy in a little circle and then start scooting some more. Then, he saw I was there. He could hardly keep himself upright because he had to keep checking to see if I was watching. On his way over to the wall, he must have shimmied his little circle a dozen times. Of course, I did see him fall on his bum a couple of times, too. His damp looking pants showed evidence of a few trips to the ice as well. Even so, I could clearly see that he was having a wonderful time.

For a boy who has been labeled shy more times than I care to know, that boy talked non stop for the next 10 minutes or so as I helped him take off his skates and put on his shoes. Mom...did you see me? Did you see my circles? Mom, can we come do this again? Did you see my circles? When can we do this again? Did you see my circles?

Yes, Son, I saw your circles.

You had more moves out there than a bowl of jell-o
.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been watching American Gladiators, too! I think it's pretty cool. I remember that line from Hulk Hogan. The Jello one. I thought it was really good. I've been using it at school. I can't believe you thought it was lame.

Christine said...

:-)

Anonymous said...

Ohh---this blog cracks me up! I'm so glad you are sharing life's little moments w/ us!