Tuesday, January 22, 2008

False Advertisement

I've had a cold the last couple of days. I am not sure there is anything that makes me feel more miserable than not have the full breathing ability of my nose. Yikes. It makes me feel kind of trapped. Must be some psychological thing. But then again, I don't understand how Caden can sleep with his head completely covered by blankets. That makes me feel trapped, too. Something about breathing used air.

I usually don't give the advertisements on TV much notice. In fact, usually I am up and doing something during them....either that or I read during the commercials. Lately, I haven't had a book to read, so I have been flipping the channels. Tim has crowned me the Queen of Flipping because of that. I just point the remote at him and....FLIP! Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to work on him like it does the TV.

I have noticed the last couple of days, as my mind seems totally focused on my stuffy nose and my desire to breath a full breath, that my attention is drawn to all the ads about cold medicines. I've decided that I hate them. They are terribly misleading to us, the sick ones. I saw one yesterday that shows the lady coming back into her full self, ready to take on the world. I mentally sat up a little bit straighter.

Then, I noticed it was the very product that I had in my cupboard. So, I dash over to the cupboard and promptly pop one of those magic little pills into my mouth. Even after giving it a decent amount of time in which to work its magic....I still had a stuffy nose and only felt marginally better. I didn't feel "clear" like they suggest......I just noticed that instead of having some movement of gunk in my nose....now there is no movement at all. I have yet to decide which is worse.....a constant drippy nose....or a nose stopped up with rubber cement.

Shame on those marketers, though. They prey on the weak of body and mind in order to make a profit. They really ought to be ashamed. I will admit that I felt a little better after taking the medicine....but not like I was back to my rip-roaring self. They should never promote it as such. We get back into life not because we feel better, but because our duties beckon us to do so.

That is the other bad thing about colds. For the most part, colds don't seem to knock me down as much as the flu. For the most part, I am still able to function as normal. I may feel trashy, but I can still function. Now when I last had that flu buggy thing, I could not function further than a few feet from the bathroom. But, with a cold, I can just carry my tissues with me and away we go. Even though, the only thing I really want to do is escape to my bed, turn up the electric blanket, and read a good book.

I have learned, or maybe I should say that I am learning, that as a mom, I have to give myself permission to take it easy. Even today, as I told myself to take it easy, I still did a couple of loads of laundry, picked up the kitchen, and baked a batch of cookies. I will still make dinner, make 4 lunches, clean up the kitchen again, lay out 3 sets of clothes, and help with piano practice and homework. Somebody's got to do it....if I don't, Nobody will....and that is never a good thing.

Oh well.

On top of that, the weather has been a perfect example of false advertisement, too. The sunshine has been absolutely stunning. It makes me day dream of blooming daffodils, tulips, and wearing capris. Then I open the door. Whoa! Blow me down and make me take a step back.

Heading back in to curl up in my fleecies!!

Stay warm and healthy!

1 comments:

Tresa said...

Sorry you're not feeling well...I hope today is better! Love you...