Monday, January 28, 2008

Snow Day!

I always loved snow days when I was a kid. There was nothing better than to wake up anticipating going to school and then hear the words "School Closed." When I was in high school, getting up at the ungodly hour of 5:00, I loved hearing those words and then crawling back into bed for some more sleep. Pure bliss.

So, it was wonderful, this morning, to have my sweet husband whisper in my ear that school was delayed 2 hours. BONUS!! I love sleep. It's a good thing. When I finally woke up and peeked out the window I was a little disappointed at how little snow there was. I could even tell that the little that was there was already starting to melt, so I was a little surprised to hear that they eventually canceled school for the day.

It almost felt like a waste of a snow day. We couldn't even don our winter clothes and at least have a little party in the snow. It was just wet and cold. The kids didn't seem bothered that we only had a 1/4 of an inch of snow. When we went out around 11:00, Daria expressed her displeasure that school was canceled. The roads seemed fine about that time. Caden was mad this morning that I didn't wake him up for school. Though I think he was a little bit happy when I eventually told him there was no school.

I was disappointed today, though. Not that the kids were home from school for the day....but that there was no decent snow to play in. I wanted a good ol' romp through the snow. I wanted to pull out our sleds and do a little sledding. I wanted to make a big pile in the drive way and see how long it would last. I guess that the snow just pulls out the kid in me. I wanted a real snow day.

I love the snow. I love how it covers all the dirty, gray stuff. I love the fresh, clean look it gives a dreary world. Snow days in Portland are really kind of a rarity. I'm crossin' my fingers that we have a real snow day before the winter is out.

Please....please....please.

I also need to add one of my favorite, past Snow Day pictures. Daria hadn't wanted to listen about what she should wear in the snow......her face tells it all. Cracks me up every time!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have thought about doing a blog---I love writing! Maybe you can help inspire me! I was just reading your old email about your blog so decided to see what you've written.

We've had SNOW in Corvallis! But yeah, if they are gonna cancel snow, make it worthwhile! These days, I'd rather hunker down inside than out!

Candi said...

Oh my---that picture is priceless!!