Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Kanga and Roo

I was a little curious about something today, so I did a little research. I have heard about the benefit of Kangaroo care for preemies in the hospital. I knew that it was beneficial for the babies, but I wanted to know specifics. Kangaroo care is when the babies are placed on their mother's chest skin to skin. When reading this article, I was once again, in awe. The benefits of kangaroo care are so amazing that one can't help but give praise to God for such attention to details in the human psyche.

Here is a quick rundown of the benefits of skin-to-skin contact with a preemie baby, aka: kangaroo care. In the initial study, done in the country of Colombia, they found that the mortality rate for these babies dropped from 70% to 30%. Personally, I think that is huge. It has also been proven to reduce crying in colicky babies. Sleep time is also increased, as these babies learn to transition through the various sleep stages while being in kangaroo care. Kangaroo care also decreases episodes of apnea, regulates heart rates and body temperatures, and decreases the need for additional oxygen. These babies also show more rapid weight gain and have shorter stays in the hospital. An obvious benefit of kangaroo care, at least to me, is the increased feelings of intimacy and attachment between parent and child. Imagine that.

One thing that the article pointed out was the study done on body temperatures. In one particular study, they said that when suggested to a mother that her baby looked "cold," the mother's body temperature would immediately increase to compensate. In contrast, when it was suggested to the mother that her baby looked "hot," her body temperature decreased. Isn't that just an amazing thing??? That a mother concern for her child's welfare is so innate, that even involuntary body functions respond to her child's needs. As far as I am concerned, only my God can make something so incredible happen.

So what is up with my interest in kangaroo care? I can tell you right now that it does not mean that I am a pregnant. But we have had an occurrence in our household the last couple of days that made me ponder kangaroo care in connection with the changes in our household. Let me explain. Homework time around our house had gotten a little scary lately. It had become a very stressful time for both Caden and I. It had gotten so bad that I had really began to dread the homework hour. Wrapped up in that, lately Caden had been showing signs of struggling with his spelling. This was the bulk of his homework. Oh the fits that we have had to deal with the last couple of weeks. Mine included!

So, last week, I restructured our homework time. Amazingly, Caden has adjusted to it fairly well. We've had a few melt-downs over it.....but still definitely better. So, I moved the time when we did homework, as well as eliminated one of his "excuse" factors. Now, instead of trying to juggle homework and cook dinner at the same time, which was so stressful for me (Caden, too), I am able to sit down at the table and really focus on my son during his homework time. Do you see? Kangaroo care....but with a 6 year old....instead of a preemie.

Homework time has been so much better. Even though we are still at it for a long time, attitudes between both Caden and I have been improved. I've had to sacrifice some of "my time", and my evenings are long, but the less stress in our relationship has been worth it. Another benefit? The last two days Caden has come home only having missed 3 words on his spelling tests....in contrast to the 8-10 missed words previously. Improvement? Yep. I only hope that this means that the improvement will continue. Wouldn't that be grand?

This post has really taken me to task today. I had allowed my distaste for Caden's fits to dictate when we did homework. In doing that, I didn't realize that it really wasn't gaining me anything...it was only causing me more grief in the end. I see other benefits ahead for Caden and I. Remember that last benefit of kangaroo care? The increased intimacy and attachment? I see good things on the horizon.

To remind me of what I felt Jesus saying to me a couple of weeks ago: HOLD ON. Change is coming.

1 comments:

Candi said...

That's great, Kippy!! I know all too well about the fits--mine included!!