Monday, February 11, 2008

Treasure vs. Trinket

Last night, at my Bethel class, we were talking about the disharmony that entered the world when Adam and Eve chose to eat the forbidden fruit in the garden of Eden. One comment that was made that struck me was "trading treasure for trinkets." When Adam and Even sinned by eating the fruit, they traded the treasure of Eden and a perfect relationship with God for the trinket of apparent freedom. I say apparent, because really now we are in bondage to our sin.

The mere sound of the words treasure and trinket were particularly striking for me. If you say the words out loud you can almost hear their definitions. Try it. Say "treasure." Doesn't the mere sound of it seem rich and full? It really is a "pretty word." I believe that I have even heard of people naming their daughters Treasure. I know that I have often called my children my "treasures." Treasure, as defined in the American Heritage Dictionary is "a person or thing considered especially precious or valuable." I would definitely considered that very intimate relationship that Adam and Eve had with God as being a treasure....one that is lost to us until we reach heaven's gate.

Now try saying "trinket" out loud. Doesn't it seem to have a tinny kind of sound? To me, it seems to ooze "cheap" and "poorly made." Not a very pretty sounding word....kind of sharp actually. I am pretty sure that I have never heard of any child being named Trinket. Can you imagine the connotations that would have to that poor child? See, trinket, as defined by the American Heritage Dictionary is "a trivial thing, trifle." What value would that name place on a child? Thankfully, I don't know anyone named that!!

I am not sure that I have any deep and profound thought about this treasure vs. trinket thing. I just found it interesting that the mere sound of these words placed an even deeper meaning onto the words.

**************************************************************
Okay...two hours later I come back to try and complete this thought. Now I am completely lost and I really don't have a way to finish. I guess we'll just leave it at that. If any one has any great way to end it...you can add it to the comments. I thought I could finish this post before the stress of my evening began...and I couldn't. Sorry.

Have a great evening.

0 comments: