Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Toast

Toast is an interesting word to contemplate tonight. It has been a long day. A day full of demands.

Toast as defined on the web: goner: a person in desperate straits; someone doomed. That defines me right now. I feel like if I am asked for one more thing tonight, I am going to pop a gasket. I hate feeling that way.

When I looked up toast on the web dictionary, I found the above definition that I wanted to use to adequately describe the way I have felt tonight. Yet, I was struck by the other, more traditional definition of toast:
To brown by direct or oven heat; toasted bread. In some respects, I feel like the heat got turned up on my day and I started to get a little brown around the edges. I guess the heat has to get pretty intense in order to get browned. The bread will not become toast sitting in a cold oven....no matter how long it is left in there. It would probably just get a little stale and hard as a brick.

Another definition of toast caught my attention too. Toast:
To brown the outside of a seed or nut to heighten flavor. That thought kind of gave me a swift kick in the seat of my pants. I can either let my day make me a goner....someone doomed to the depths despair....or allow the heat of my day to heighten my flavor.

Hmmmmm.....toast is sounding pretty good about now.

0 comments: