Thursday, August 21, 2008

Doing the Thankful Dance!

Another Thursday. Another opportunity to be thankful. With Summer craziness...and the lack of school schedules....I keep forgetting to be thankful on Thursdays! Today had a little miracle in it and my Tim reminded me that it was a good to have it happen. When I told him of my little miracle his response was:

"How fun. I bet you're singing some praises and how appropriate that it's Thursday. Love ya!"

Well, I had been singing praises....but I hadn't realized it was Thursday. Better get busy and be thankful!!

A year or more ago, I lost the key to my curio cabinet. I have torn my house apart a couple of times looking for it. I really hate to lose things and it has been a burr under my saddle for quite some time. I have tried not to give it too much attention otherwise it would just drive me crazy. It really drove me crazy when my kids bumped it and a few things tipped over. Aaarrrggghhh. What to do when you can't get in there to straighten things?

In the process of trying to get in there, a little nub was broken off inside the lock. I thought for sure that there was no other way to get in. I even thought about taking off the back....but it has been stapled on and I could see no way in it without destroying it. A few weeks ago, I even tried to take the hinge pins out. No luck.

Now it has come down to this week. Another little miracle in my life, is that Tim has allowed us to hire someone to replace our flooring. That is happening next weekend. WOW. So, part of the deal is that we have to prep things to have that happen. Which means moving all the furniture that is upstairs, downstairs. Curio cabinet included. How was I going to do that without destroying all my pretties? Tim said we could move it carefully to the porch. I was horrified to think of putting out there for the whole weekend. Yikes!

As I dwelt on this matter, I remembered a vague suggestion that someone gave me a while ago. They suggested that I go to an antique shop and they might have key options for me. So, as a last ditch effort, I decided to give it a try today. I went down there...and for a $100 deposit, the owner let me take home a small rack of keys. I had some hope when he said that several others have done the same and have been successful. I was just worried about that broken-off nub.

Anyway...we dash home and I immediately start working on it. The whole time I am pleading with God to let it work. I had no idea what I would do if it didn't work. As the number of keys got less and less, I began to despair. Those curio keys need that little nub to turn. There was no way it was going to work.

Then I get down to the second to last key. It sort of jimmies in there a little. And then...the lock moved!!! I think I sat there stunned for a moment not comprehending what had happened. I tried the door...but it wasn't quite enough....but the key wasn't turning it anymore. I tried again. It didn't feel like it had moved...but when I tried opening the door again...IT OPENED!!!

I couldn't have been more shocked if I had stuck my finger in an electrical outlet. I just sat there with my mouth hanging open. I must have said something because my kids came over to check it out. Then we all did a little dance around the kitchen. It felt so good to reach in there and straighten everything up. I know I need to pack it up to move it...but for now it just felt so good to fix things up.

Oh to be thankful!! It feels so good. I am glad that God cares even about the little things. I feel so blessed. Yippee!!

1 comments:

Tresa said...

Very cool! God is good! Love you!