Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Weekend Highlights

I have been wanting to get on here and debrief for days. Stuff, with a capital S, has been gnawing on my patootie since last Friday. Every time I would sit down to write, I would find myself dancing in my chair. My To-Do List seemed to be nipping at my ankles every time I would sit down. Impossible to focus on writing.

Agony.

So, tonight, as I crawled into bed with an aching back and raw fingertips from pulling up linoleum, my mind decided that it would take over. (Nothing like playing tag team!) The best way to defeat the mind is just to empty it. So, here I am. I have already dumped regarding The Capital S Stuff in my previous post....if you don't mind a little whining and perspective, read on after this one. So, now I need to dump about my weekend. It was full...to say the least.

Daria was in another soccer tournament. Two games on Friday. Two games on Saturday. And a championship game on Sunday. See if can tell from the picture what color her medal is. (By the way...the girl standing to the right looking at her medal? Her name is Daria, too!! Can you believe that???)


I was very pleased that her team came in second out of fourteen teams. She played really well. The last game, her team fought hard and played a great game. A little perceived show-boating by the other team left them feeling a little demoralized, I think. So, I think it took them a while to appreciate their silver medals. It probably didn't help any that they were pretty much exhausted! By the next day, Daria was pretty excited about it...and was determined to become even better at soccer. I reminded her that to have fun and play her best is all that matters. The rest is cake.

Our weekend was also busy visiting good friends. Granted, the timing of the visits wasn't ideal...but it was fun to see them again. Friday night, we drove about an hour away to visit Tim's high school friend who was in town from Alaska. I wish I had pictures of him and his beautiful wife and daughter. Scott understands Tim so well and I usually come away feeling very validated about certain things. He has a great sense of humor and it is always fun to watch him and Tim interact. Some friendships will always remain timeless. We did stay there much too late that night, considering the fact that Daria had two soccer games the next day. 11:30 p.m. is way too late...but time sure flies!!

Saturday night, we dashed down to Salem to visit another one of Tim's high school friends who was in town from Southern California. I really enjoy visiting with them. Their families, their values, etc, seem to match ours so well. It is always refreshing to visit with them. I secretly wish for them to move back to the Salem/Portland area so that our families could be closer. Mike made a comment with the statement of 4 years in there. That gives me a little hope. Once again, 10:45 is much too late, considering the fact that Daria had played 4 games in the last two days and we had church and another game the next day. I guess I should be thankful that it wasn't 11:45!!

Sunday was packed full of non-stop fun. Church, of course, is always a highlight. Nothing out of the ordinary....but it charges one up. We dashed immediately from church to head to Daria's championship game. (Nothing like changing your clothes in the van!) As soon as the game was over and Daria had received her medal, we hopped into the van to head to Tilikum for our church picnic. That is always a lot of fun. The Big Swing is a highlight.....even for the adults.



The only downer for the picnic was good ol' Oregon Rain. It sure has been a "wet" summer. It just seems like we have had more wet weather than normal for this time of year. I hope that isn't indicitive of our coming Fall and Winter. Boo hoo.

So there we are. At least 4 posts in one. Maybe it was a good thing I haven't had time to sit and blog. I could have bored you to tears.

0 comments: