Monday, August 4, 2008

The Mom Phenomenon

There is a strange thing that happens around my house. I have tried to avoid it several times...but inevitably it overtakes me. It is futile to resist. Actually, I have learned to not avoid it...it catches up with me eventually. In fact, it is almost comical in its consistency.

This phenomenon goes like this: Wherever Mom goes, the kids are sure to follow. Honestly, I have to laugh. If I want my kids to go outside, it is pointless to tell them to go outside. It doesn't last. So, I will often go outside. I don't even have to announce the fact. Often times, I just sneak outside. Within ten minutes or less, they will find me. Not one. Not two. But all three of them. It matters not what they are doing at the time, they have a hidden radar that tells them I have left the house.

Likewise, if they are involved outside, and I sneak inside...inevitably they will come trailing in about 5 minutes later. I have tried time and again to sneak in, or out, without being noticed. It is amazing how consistent they are. Crazy kids.

Tonight, they followed pattern. I was feeling a little kid-worn, so I stepped outside to water my flowers. Daria was playing on the piano....the boys were playing a game in the living room. Their dad was playing on the computer. I watched the clock tonight. 10 minutes. That was all it took for one...two...three kids to find their mom.

Do other kids have this hidden radar in regards to their moms? I often see kids climbing all over their dads. If their dad are available, Mom is cut loose. Doesn't seem to happen at my house. My kids don't even want to go to their store with just their dad. They usually ask if I am going along. If I am staying home, they stay home. If I go, they will go. Occasionally, one or two my go....and rarely will all three go. Crazy kids.

Hopefully this means that they love me. A lot.

0 comments: