Monday, December 22, 2008

And it just keeps coming.....

Aka: Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!

Last night, before we went to bed, Tim cleared off a portion of the deck. This morning, when I measured, there was another 7 inches of snow!!

Craziness!

I was listening to the news briefly and the newscaster was saying that we have had 14.5 inches of snow. To some, like my parents who live in a snow belt, that doesn't sound like a whole bunch. But for our area, it is crazy. The newscaster also said that this December 2008 snowfall is the most December snow the Portland area has had since 1968. This particular storm system we are in right now, he said it is the largest winter storm EVER since 1980.

Pretty impressive records that have been shattered. In my opinion, anyway. The best way to tell the story is through pictures. So, I think I will post a few.

This is a picture of the big pine tree in our front yard. Occasionally, the snow gets too heavy and we have a big down fall of snow. I just happened to capture some of it. A little bit later, I noticed that we lost a couple of branches on that tree as well. They were close to the house....but didn't seem to cause any damage.
The kids were having a great time playing in the snow. It was fun to see how much snow was piled on the roof.

Then I turned around on the deck and tried to get a perspective shot on the amount of snow on the roof of the house. I found that pretty amazing.

At least this last round was nice and fluffy again. Made the playing a little more worthwhile.

This is a picture I couldn't resist. This is my neighbor's car literally buried under all the snow. Crazy!! And even though this car is buried...our other neighbor attempted to get his car out of the drive way.

They spent a good half hour or so out there spitting snow and dirt trying to get that car to move. It now sits exactly where it sits right now. If they had been paying attention at all they would have noticed others getting stuck. Our culdesac doesn't get much traffic, so it is a death trap right now.


One last perspective shot. I thought our mailboxes looked cool with their little snow caps on. I noticed that our mail carrier didn't arrive today until after 5:00. How miserable!!


This afternoon, I was blessed to have Ryan, our neighbor, who had the weather-worthy vehicle take me to the mall today. I was really amazed at how many people were on the roads...and at the malls. Guess they were just as desperate as I was. I was thankful for the opportunity to get out of the house. I was also thankful that Tim made it home from work safely. His work actually closed things down early....and I was very happy to hear that. I am just wishing that they would close it for the rest of the week.

Hope everyone is staying warm and dry.

0 comments: