Friday, December 19, 2008

Blast to the Past

Music can be a very powerful influence on a person. Teachers use music all the time to help their students memorize random facts of life. I know that every time I sing the hymn, "When We All Get to Heaven," I think of my Grandma Willa. And when I hear, "Up From the Grave," I think of my Grandpa Wayne and how he loved to draw out the phrasing. Powerful emotions get attached to music. Music can change the world.

Today, Daria and I had a Mom-and-Daria day. The boys were off to a play date, so we had some quality time together. Since the roads were icy, and Tim took our one semi-decent "weather" vehicle to work with him, Daria and I walked to Joe's Sporting Goods to do a little shopping. I decided to treat us to McDonald's for lunch, too. As we were sitting there eating, a song came on that flashed me back about 2(ahem)7 years.

Scare me.

As we were listening to that song, I was right back in the dentist office of Dr. Coppess in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. I could see just about every detail of the waiting room. In that moment, I could have laid out his whole office and picked the fabric swatches. I probably even remember the magazine selection on the coffee tables as well. It was so eery. Funny thing is, though, that every time I hear this song, I am taken back to his office. Not sure why that song sends me back there. I wonder if I have some sort of horrible, subconscious memory of an incident that occurred while that song was playing. Or maybe that song was playing every time I was in his office. He probably had a canned, easy-listening track that played on a repetitive cycle. I don't know..it is just plain weird.

I was so amused by this music-memory phenomenon, that I tried to chant the key phrasing so that I would remember it, so that I could blog about it. It was such a hilarious moment for me. But you know, when I finally got home and had some time to blog, I could not recall the song to save my life. Ugh. That is so frustrating.

Just a few minutes ago, I was in the bathroom getting ready for bed. I found myself singing this little ditty to myself. After singing that phrase about half a dozen times, it dawned on me that it was that song that I was singing. So, quick....here I am...sharing this profound (ha!) moment of my day.

So, for your listening pleasure tonight, here is the song that blasted me to the past today: You'll Never Find by Lou Rawls.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

Ack!!! I remember that song too, although I don't have the memory association that you do of the dentist. I do agree that songs can immediately take you back...in fact awhile back I blogged about that myself :-) There are a few songs that come on the Oldies station (SIGH!) now & then that I could tell you where I was & even who I was talking on the phone to...Scary!

Kevin 'In Salford' said...

"whoo-a-whoo-a-ho! I'm gonna miss yer lovin', when it's cold outside"

Sends shivers down my spine: memories of a certain Christmas party disco I did back in the mid 1970's when I was a DJ. Everyone sang along to just about every record I played, and we all had tears in our eyes - it was such a fantastic friendly and emotional night.

Yes it's amazing how certain pieces of music bring back memories of where you where and what you were doing at the time, like for me 'Close to You' by the Carpenters reminds me of my first real girlfriend.