Monday, December 15, 2008

Slicker than Sn_ _!

Winter in Oregon is definitely an experience. We are woefully, inadequately prepared to handle any amount of snowfall.....especially if it hangs around for more than 24 hours!! As I mentioned yesterday, we had 4-5 inches of snow on Sunday. It closed schools today....and closing schools tomorrow. We are due to have more snow arrive on Wednesday. Looks like we have a good chance of a bonus week of Christmas vacation!

BUT....Murphy's law has been at work in my Christmas shopping "plans." This year, it really stinks big time to be a procrastinator. (I'm vowing now to be better next year. Tim took the van today because it was the vehicle with chains. That left me without a car. So, when he got home tonight, I headed out to try and conquer my Christmas list. My goodness is it slick out there. I wish that I could take a picture that would show the glistening ice everywhere. Because Oregon doesn't have snow plows....all that lovely snow gets packed onto the roads. And it is slippery. I don't mind driving in the snow....it is the ice that really gets me.

One benefit to the ice is that there weren't many people out shopping. I probably shouldn't have been out there, either. That fact that it was quiet shopping....made my little night adventure worthwhile. I so hate the holiday crowds.

So, I am close to being done. If worse comes to worse, I may be handing out cash to those who I haven't found gifts for yet. Ugh. I hate that. But....I refuse to traipse the miles to the mall on the icy roads.

Hope everyone is staying warm, dry, and safe.

0 comments: