Monday, March 10, 2008

Complain...complain....complain

I don't typically like to get on my blog and complain. I find that if I start complaining....it is so easy to keep on complaining. I really am trying to put a positive spin on my life these days. It really helps with the overall attitude of my life! But....today....something just bugged me enough that I have to just get it off my chest. I won't complain at the establishment because I find that complaining never works. I will expect change once I complain....and typically change doesn't happen.

Luke has swimming lessons on Monday, so we were at the YMCA. When my boys were littler, I would shower and change them in the Women's Locker room. The changing area is much larger, more convenient, etc. When Luke was 3, I had one of the older ladies complain to me about having a boy in the locker room. I was a little shocked. I said: "Well...he's only 3!" (The signs ask for boys 6 years and older to be in the family changing room.) Her response to me: "Well, he still has eyes!!" At our next lesson time, I noticed that there was a complaint form filled out and posted on the bulletin board in the women's locker room about little boys in the locker room.

Whatever.

So, my boys have grown. It is time to use the family changing rooms....which I have for the last year or so. It really isn't very convenient at all. There are four shower stalls....and the open area is very tiny....kind of like a glorified hallway. I will deal with inconveniences of it...because I am a Mom of a boy....as well as the fact that there aren't any other options. It is frustrating at times when you stand around waiting for a shower while your child shivers in the cold. It is frustrating to try to get your child dressed in the cramped shower stalls where the floor is soaked from other careless people. But...you do what you must do. And that is that.

BUT....I have noticed, since Luke's swim lessons are now earlier in the morning, that there is quite the competition to use the family changing room showers. I have noticed that there are mothers....with just little girls in there. ALSO....I have noticed older women...single older women using the family showers. I have noticed this cute little older couple using the family changing rooms....but that I can understand as I watch them helping each other with their processes.

I think it mostly bugs me to see these old ladies using the family rooms. I know that I should be understanding....but it is so hard when I know how much room is over in the women's locker room...and when I see how little room there is in the family changing rooms. Grrrr. There is a small part of me that just wants to be a little brat and say something. BUT....proper decorum, politeness, and respect keep my little mouth zipped up tight.

I don't know why I had to complain about this today. I guess it just helps to blurt out all the yuckies and then get on with life. I will chalk this up to another one of those things that I hope I remember when I get older.

May I never forget what it is like to be a mother of little ones....been there, done that....empathy....sympathy...blessed to be a blessing...and etc...etc....etc.

0 comments: