Saturday, March 29, 2008

Home and Updating.....

Well, the kids and I survived our time at the Coast. The kids really missed having their daddy with us....as did I. I will write more about our trip in a little bit....because I just wanted to update you on the status of our nephew, David Howard.

Here is the latest news: The doctors are 99.9% sure that he has Hirschsprung Disease. For me, that is a little bit of a relief that it isn't cystic fibrosis. From the article that I had linked on my previous post, it sounds like, after surgery, David has the possibility of leading a normal life. To me, that is worth praising God about.

Right now, David is still in the hospital down in Eugene. He has been having good days. They are flushing his bowels two times a day, which means that his poor little buns are sore. My mother-in-law says that they are close to bleeding they are so sore. They asked for prayer regarding that. Since he has been "fed" through a tube since birth, they are slowly teaching him how to suck. If his body can continue to handle the nourishment and the flushes, they will send him home. Due to scheduling with the surgeon's, David is not scheduled for surgery until May 5.

As you can imagine, David's mom and dad are stressing out. Rachel sent us an email describing her anxiety at teaching him to nurse, taking him home, etc. She would really love for his surgery to be sooner....and done with. Her stress levels are also effecting her milk supply....so I am sure that she would love some prayer along those lines. (though she might be embarrassed that I am posting that!!)

It was good for me to come home and get back in touch with what is happening with David and his family. Tim passed on some information while I was gone....but it isn't the same. Please continue to pray for David and his family. Stressful times.

Thank you.

0 comments: