Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Doing Hard Things

On Sunday, I was introduced to a book, concept, ideal that I am going to do some serious research on. It is a youth movement that I am going to do some serious praying that my children will pick up as they head into their teen years. From what little that I do know of it, it will require a lot on my part as well. Oh my. Grab those boot straps and hang on tight....

The book is called Do Hard Things by Alex and Brett Harris. They are nineteen years old. On the brief start that we have had on their book, I am blown away by the things they have done....starting at the age of 16. Their book talks about the concepts that they had developed out of their blog called the Rebelution. Unbelievable quick, like three weeks after its conception, their teen blog was picked up by the New York Daily News. Their blog, now a website, has become a counterculture experience amongst Christian teens.

The battle cry for The Rebelution is Do Hard Things. I can't say it any better than they already have on their website, so I will quote them now. ""Do hard things" is a mentality. It's a mentality that flies right in the face of our culture's low expectations. The world says, "You're young, have fun!" It tells us to "obey your thirst" and "just do it." Or it tells us, "You're great! You don't need to exert yourself." But those kinds of mindsets sabotage biblical character and competence. "Do Hard Things" is just the opposite. It's how we build character and competence. It won't drop to meet the low expectations, it won't just do what comes easily, and it won't become complacent. It applies no matter who you are or what level you're on, because there's always something harder to do, something that will take you outside your comfort zone and cause you to grow." They are calling the youth of our society today to rebel against the societal norm of low expectations. Our society does not expect great things from our youth. Low expectations.

"Let no one despise you for your youth, but set the believers an example in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith, in purity."
I Timothy 4:12

In essence, these young men are calling our youth to rebel against rebellion. I so want that for my kids. I want them to have confidence in themselves and to desire greatness in their own lives. I am not entirely sure on how to plant the seeds of these thoughts in the hearts and minds of my children. I know that I am going to now start praying my heart out about these ideas. It is going to be hard. But, I think I must do hard things. (I think their ideas apply to adults...as well as our youth!) But....I am lazy at heart. Pure lazy. I love going the easy route. But do I want that for my kids? No way.

So...I guess...to start...I talk with my little Rebels about rising over the laziness, and fears to do hard things. To find success like an adrenaline rush. To find and experience the thrill of victories. I also need to start praying for a wisdom beyond anything I have ever had before.

Gonna have to do some hard things.

0 comments: