Sunday, May 11, 2008

To the Best Mom.....EVER

Happy Mother's Day!!

On this day when all Moms should be honored....I thought that I would take a quick moment to honor my own. I would love to spend more time on it....but there is a deadline on getting out the door on time for church. But, then again, that is a part of honoring my mother as well. As I take up the banner of teaching my children spiritual truths as my mother did for me, I am honoring my mother today.

Mom, I just wanted to take today to tell you how much I love you. I know that I was a stinker at times growing up....but thanks for not giving up on me. Trust me....I know now how tempting it can be to just walk away when the going gets rough.

Thank you for your sacrifices that you made. I particularly remembering getting fancy dresses for Easter....that I am sure came at a cost to you. Even so, I remember feeling like a princess in those dresses. I think even then, I knew that you were making a sacrifice to purchase those dresses.

Thank you for the cupcakes that I remember taking to school on my birthday. It really sucks that we can't take homemade foods to school anymore. I loved that part of birthdays. I am sure it was inconvenient to make them....but thanks for the memories.

Of course, I can't let Mother's day go by without by without tell you Thank You for the Grammy that you have become. Clearly your grandchildren love your stories. I love the thought of how those stories keep us connected to those who have gone on ahead. It keeps their memories alive.

I also love the way that my kids adore you. Even though we don't see you as often as they'd like, when they see you it like the just saw you yesterday. I think one of my fondest memories is when we met up to go camping at Hell's Gate when Daria was two and Caden a baby. To see Daria's excitement and her running to greet you did my heart good. You definitely are a grandkid magnet.


I can only imagine how exhausted you must be after a weekend with our kids. Maybe you can see it as an opportunity to stay young. The fountain of youth....you seem to have found it. The memories that you are making will last a lifetime. I can see my own children, surrounded by their own children and grandchildren, sharing stories of their crazy Grammy who laughed with them, played with them, and told them stories.


How much better could it get?

I love you, Mom. Happy Mother's Day. Wish I was there to give you a great big hug!

xoxoxo!!

0 comments: