Monday, May 5, 2008

SwissleBean!!

Yesterday.

I swear that it was yesterday that I received the call from my sister that my niece, Alyssa, was born. How can it be that 14 years have now come and gone since that moment? I swear that I blinked. I remember getting off the phone that day and just falling apart because I had no idea when I would ever get to lay my eyes on little Miss Lyss....much less hold her. It seemed like it would be ages and eons...and she would change so much before I got the chance.

Through a wonderful gift from some friends of mine, I was able to fly down to California to see her when she was just a week or so old. Maybe her mom remembers how old she was, I just remember that she was just so very tiny. So very beautiful. So very perfect. I was in awe. How did someone so cute come from a father like hers??? From her mom, I can understand....but her dad????? :-) (Must be those Peterson genes.)

But what a joy it has been to watch her grow into a beautiful young lady. Being that we live 400 miles apart, I don't get to see her nearly as often as I'd like, but when I do, I continue to be amazed. She is becoming so tall and graceful. She laughs with a deep joy. She has a good sense of humor, too. She can be a little crazy and off the wall, like her dad and her brother. (Must be that random Redford gene.)


I am amazed at her patience with my crazy little monkeys. My kids absolutely think that she is the next best thing to anything. I am often asked: "When are we going to go see Alyssa and Kyle?" When I told them yesterday that today was Alyssa's birthday, Luke piped up from the back of the van: "Can we go to her party, Mom? Clease? Clease? (please.) " They adore her. Plain and simple.

It is fun watching her be herself. She is so confident. She does well in school. She enjoys doing Bible Quizzing. I think I have even heard that she does pretty good at it, too. She also enjoys playing volleyball (girl after my own heart!) She is also a good friend....and that is definitely a life skill!

What a joy it is to be her aunt...to stand in the sidelines of her life and watch. I believe God has marvelous things planned for her life. I can see the beginnings of it now.....and I'm enjoying the show.

Happy Birthday, Lyss. I love you.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

What I remember about her is from your wedding when this tiny little flower girl insisted on picking up all the flower petals DURING the ceremony, because that's what everyone had done the day before at the rehearsal. Priceless!

Candi said...

What a sweet post! My oldest niece turns 14 this summer and I can NOT believe it. My sister just posted a picture of her on her blog and she looks so grown up. Time goes by so fast!!