Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Adjusting

Luke has been having a hard time, sometimes, adjusting to being 5. Getting older means more responsibilities.....school, getting yourself dressed, learning to undo your own seat belt, etc. For a little man that typically is out to conquer the world, he really surprises me at his stubbornness at being independent. Okay. I just clarified that thought for myself. Stubborn. Nuf said.

He cracks me up. When I ask him to try to unbuckle his own seat belt, he will scrunch up his eyes, grunts and totally acts like he is trying to do it himself. After I get past the theatrics and actually look at his fingers.....he isn't even pushing the button! Aggravating. It doesn't even phase him when I inform him that his sister was doing it all by herself at this age. He just screams all the louder.

Tonight, at bedtime, Tim asked him to put on his own pull-up. Let the drama begin. He is instantly in whiny mode wondering why he has to do it himself. We remind him that he is 5 now and it is time to do it yourself. Definitely not what he wanted to hear. So, the begging begins.

Mom....can't I please be this many (holding up 4 fingers) for just a little bit longer? How come I can't be this many (4 fingers) for just a little longer...then I will be this many (5 fingers)? Why? I don't want to be this many (5 fingers)! I don't want to go to school. And so the story goes.

Don't you just feel for the poor boy?

0 comments: