Monday, April 21, 2008

My Scoo-Doop Sha-Dooby Dooby


Five years ago today, a whirlwind of a blessing entered my life. How often do we get the opportunity to name the blessings that God has given us? I chose to name this particular blessing, Luke. Today is my Luke's birthday.

We have had a lot of fun this past weekend celebrating the birth, and life, of my precious Luke. We had a lot of fun watching Luke thoroughly enjoying himself when we went bowling on Saturday. "What a hoot" was the phrase of the day as we watched him fling the ball down the alley and rejoice with every pin that fell. It didn't matter if it was one pin or nine pins, he rejoiced with each one that he knocked down. When he deemed my particular efforts at bowling a success, he would wrap his arms around my neck and shower me with a thousand kisses. He is often content to allow me to shower him with kisses, but for him to initiate that affection is rare. I just soaked it up.

Life is full of joy for Luke. For him, the glass is almost always full. He laughs with ease and is quick to encourage those around him. I often hear him tell others, "Good Job. You're a genius!" Life is an adventure, and he is out to conquer it, taste it, experience it to its fullest. When Luke is in the house, the party has truly begun!! Even when he is angry, frustrated or defiant, he is pretty quick, for the most part, to snap out of it and find a new way to experience life around him.

Luke is full of energy. He is non-stop from the time he wakes up in the morning, until he is put into bed at night. When he was younger, that energy often led him into trouble. I was often exhausted and at the end of my rope at the end of his day. I remember a time in his younger days that I often wondered if he would settle down enough to not be perpetually labeled a troublemaker. What a joy it is to hear other people's positive reports of my little man now. A couple of Sundays ago, when I picked Luke up from Sunday School, his teacher told me that he was a treasure. My sentiments exactly.

I truly feel that where my Luke is now is a testimony to the power of prayer. I can not even begin to count the many nights that I would crawl back into his room after a difficult day to pray over him during those precious moments of sleep. The feelings of victory that I experience when I notice changes in the areas that I have prayed over are overwhelming. Talk about doing the Mommy Dance! A couple of years ago, God gave me Ephesians 2:10 as my promise for Luke and his life. "For we are God's workmanship, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do." I truly believe that God has some incredible plans for Luke's life. And I have front row seats for His grand show!

Happy Birthday, Luke. I love you, Sweet Little Man. You are a blessing.

0 comments: