Monday, April 28, 2008

Reconnected for a Moment

I think I have been sitting here for about a half hour with a blank stare on my face. All weekend long I had things that I was going to sit down and blog about. Then, when I finally get the opportunity to write about them, I find that my mind is blank. I'll tack it up to either my advancing age, or......

Brain Freeze.

Tonight we had our Friends Women meeting. Once a year, we meet at Izzy's to have dinner before we listen to our speaker. I can't always say that I enjoy the food, but I really do enjoy getting together with the ladies in my church. The connection and sense of community that I have with them is so enjoyable and encouraging.

After I started the meeting, I could hear someone telling our guest speaker about my connection to my grandparents. I love that. The lady was very tender as she acknowledged that connection with me and I just wanted to hug her.

I had someone in my church ask me yesterday if my grandpa had passed away. He died a little over a year ago. I was a little surprised at her question. I could see that the news was pretty fresh for her. In some ways, his death seems like it happened yesterday. In other ways, it feels like forever since he has been gone.

When I think of how long my grandma has been gone, it feels like a lifetime has passed. So much has happened. I feel like I have "grown up." My grandma never met my kids....and in so many ways I feel like my complete identity right now is wrapped up in my kids. A whole life time, a whole new me has come about since my grandma's passing.

Tonight, as this lady told me how precious my grandparents were, I felt like my grandparents came near to me once again. That severed line that death brings about seemed to join again for that little flash of time. I reveled in that feeling tonight.

I miss my Grams and Gramps. I just needed to say that tonight.

0 comments: