Monday, April 14, 2008

Getting' Down and Dirty

I am not sure if I have mentioned on here my lack of gardening know how. I consider myself a complete ignoramos when it comes to this area. I can't even keep houseplants alive. I bought a "Lucky" Bamboo plant fairly recently. It said that it needed low light and low water. Sounded like the perfect solution for this poor gardening ninny. I think it is currently in its final death throes.

Poor plant.

Somehow, through a series of what I can only call divine circumstances, I am in co-leadership of a community garden hosted by our church. What a complete laugh. I know that I have mentioned that I hate weeding....and weeding seems to be a huge part of gardening. Because I am in leadership over this garden at our church, I am also in leadership over the garden for my kids' school which is hosted in my church. (Hope you all made all the crazy connections there!) Because of all that....I am doing things and given "titles" that I have absolutely no right to claim!

Today was Planting Day at the kids' school. What absolute craziness!! Trying to hustle 120 or so kids through a planting experience is so far beyond anything that I feel capable of. I am so glad that God is faithful to give us all that we need when we need it. This planting experience always feels like it is one sandwich shy of a picnic run amuck. It is a whirlwind experience. I walked away from the garden today asking God to help that poor garden to grow. Please let that garden grow.

In the last week or so, I have to laugh, though, at the crazy titles that I have been given in regards to the school garden. Today, one of the teachers called me a master gardener. Wouldn't all those actual Master Gardeners be horrified at such a flippant use of their title!! So, what do you do with all that? I don't want so much credit laid at my feet over this garden. What if things go completely haywire? Maybe I am worrying too much over what people think.

I think my worry all comes from a conversation I had with a master gardener that we have in our church. When I first approached her for help with our school's garden last year, I made a comment about gardening was just placing the seed in the ground and watering it. She laughed at me when I said that! Yikes. What am I missing?

I think that planting all those seeds is really a leap of faith for me. Literally. I am always a little amazed when those itty bitty, teeny weeny little seeds actually turn into these beautiful plants. And these plants have value....we can eat them!! Isn't that amazing that God packs all the makings for those plants in a little bitty seed? AND....I think it is also very amazing that God takes those imperfect planting sessions, with crooked rows, helter skelter scattered seeds, and misplaced footsteps...and...still we have a pretty garden.

Honestly. I think God is pretty cool.

0 comments: