Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Giving God the Glory

Today, Tricia got her call for her transplant. I can hardly contain myself in praying for her. The cry of my heart for her is that God would be glorified in her life in whatever comes from her transplant. I can only begin to imagine the thoughts and feelings that are going through Nate's mind right now. It is overwhelming to imagine!! He says that he will be posting some time soon about some of those thoughts.

In light of my post yesterday, and my thoughts and prayers for Tricia today, I've been wondering about the process of praying for God to be glorified in a stressful situation. How easy it is for me to pray that prayer for Tricia. I'm not personally involved in her story. I can objectively stand on the sidelines, praying for her. How God chooses to glorify Himself in her situation remains to be seen. He may deem it worthy for her to survive the transplant and go on to live several more glorious years with Nate and Gwyneth. He may also deem it worthy for her to come home to Him. For me, it is easy to pray for God to glorify Himself in her life.

In my own life, I find that to pray that pray is a little more difficult. I want to get on my knees and plead and beg for God to do things my way. I find myself, in praying for Tricia, sometimes suggesting to God what I think that He should do. I know that it is completely His prerogative to do with her as He wills. Just as it would be completely His prerogative to do what He wants in my own life.

One of the biggest quandaries of my Christian faith, is how do we really pray for someone in this situation? God asks us to ask. I find it so difficult to ask for things specifically. I'm not even sure why I find it so hard. I know that if I ask according to His will, then of course He will answer. And maybe that is where my struggle lies. For me, I'm not sure if I am ever certain of His will.

What is His will for Tricia? That, in my opinion, remains to be seen. My heart wants to say that of course, He will give her a full and extended life. But what if it isn't His will? So, how do we really pray in situations like this?

Ah...so much to learn. It may be one of those questions that I put in the pockets of my mind to pull out when I get to heaven. Does God offer a Question and Answer time when we get to Heaven? Will there be classes for us to bone up on wisdom? Will there just be a divine out-pouring of knowledge when we cross the pearly gates?

Things to think about while I continue to pray for Tricia, for Nate...and for Gwyneth.

0 comments: