Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Bravado:

Bravad0: A disposition toward showy defiance or false expressions of courage.


Luke is such a ham. He is also the cockiest little man I know. He loves to run the show, thinks he can do anything he want, and he'll tell you so. The only thing is, he is still only 5 years old. He is still learning to control is body, his thoughts, his words. He has a lot to learn.

When he was younger, he scared me. He showed no fear in accomplishing things. He would climb up on furniture and such and jump with no apprehension at all. I thought for sure he would be my first child into the emergency room with a broken bone. (Amazingly, Daria beat him to that accolade!)

Now, at 5 years old, I am finding my son a complete oxymoron. He is bravado defined. He is so full of guff I just could pull my hair out. He acts so confident....as long as he is in complete control....and he knows he is in complete control. When things, activities, skills, etc. that challenge him are thrown into his path, he stonewalls faster than I can blink.

Tonight, I could tell he was full of something or other when he asked to have his training wheels taken off. It is about time. When he rides his bike, the training wheels hardly ever come into effect. He didn't want his Daddy to help. He wanted me to help....to hold on and never let go. I guess that he knew that his dad couldn't be trusted.

So, we took a couple of twirls around the cul de sac. He was really doing it on his own. I think his problem was that he kept looking back to make sure I was there. I was doing my best to encourage him that he really was doing it on his own. Then his dad took over.....and Luke really was doing it on his own.

But could we convince him of that. No. He was so not pleased with our words that he demanded that the training wheels get put back on....NOW. Tim put them on...but he put them on a lot higher. We then took a ride around the neighborhood. Luke was so not a happy boy. Stupid bike (heard that more times that I cared to.)

I sure do not know how to motivate this boy. He shuts down so tight when he feels challenged. I am really worried about next year when he starts kindergarten. I am praying about that now. He, no we, will need all the help that we can get. It was sure interesting to watch him tonight. Daria and Caden just took off when riding that bike. It was empowering to them to realize that they had done it on their own. Don't know what to do with Luke.

God sure has His work cut out for Him!



0 comments: