Monday, June 30, 2008

Simple Pleasures

We have been vacationing in North Idaho at the home of my parents this week. The weather has been HOT. It is amazing how those extreme heats....and high humidities...make live s l o w down. It has been nice not having an agenda to hurry here and there to. I love just sitting sometimes and enjoying the simple things in life.

One of the most simple of pleasures is playing in the sprinkle. Clean, honest fun. I remember as a kid that it would seem that I was impervious to the cold. Not so much now that I am getting up there in years. I get a little jealous when I see my kids playing with wild abandon, completely impervious to the cold water.

Tim got some great pictures of my kids, and my niece and nephew playing in the sprinkler and enjoying some of the simple pleasures in life.




My niece has found some modern-day simple pleasures. Our society has created wonderful ways to stay close....even when you are far away. She misses her friends. I wonder if she gets finger cramps from texting.


She did enjoy showing Luke the pleasures of tetherball. She's got her volleyball form down well.


Tim had the fun idea of bringing balloon rockets for the kids. He probably spent over an hour blowing up balloon after balloon. At least he had one of those hand pumpers. Though, I kept wondering if he was going to get blisters galore. The kids had the best time with those rockets. Alyssa even managed to be enticed into the fun. Of all the pictures that I took of that....none of them really do the event justice.


But by the end of the evening, the kids were laughing and having a grand ol' time. That was when I was really struck with the idea that sometimes it is the simple things in life that are truly the best.

0 comments: