Thursday, June 26, 2008

Rising to the Occasion

Our church has been doing Vacation Bible School this week. It really has been a fun program that we have used. The kids really seem to be enjoying themselves. Even though I am envious of the other moms who drop their kids and run, I am enjoying myself as well.

Lately, at my church, I have been noticing people who have spent some time sitting in the pews participating in worship but not participating so much in the work of the worship, rising from their pews and joining in the forces. I love that I am surprised by this. I am not sure what the current energy vibes in our church are right now that is causing these subtle changes....but it is kind of fun to watch. I am anxious to see what God is going to do with all this. He really seems to be doing some work in our church. Fun.

This week, I've watched a certain young man be placed into a position that was totally out of his element. The first day or so, I could tell that he wanted to be anywhere else than where was that day. It was such a stretch for him. Bless his heart. Yet he has been faithful, faithful, faithful this week. Each day I saw him grow a little more.....a little braver, a little more relaxed, and a little more confident.

Today was particularly exciting to be a casual observer on the side. This young man has been a helper with Luke's age group. He had been coming, helping his mom. I'm sure it was more due to his mom's urging than being there because he wanted to. Either way he got there, God's been working on him. And it is so fun to watch.

Today, his mom wasn't with him. Two other ladies were subbing for her today. Yet this young man still came and did his job. The other two ladies did such a wonderful job deferring to his knowledge of the kids and how their group had been functioning this week. I noticed this morning that he wasn't so sure about that. I am sure he was mumbling some choice words under his breath. Yet through the day, as these ladies encouraged him, asked his opinion, and basically placed him in a point of leadership...and value....I watched him take on a persona that I had never seen in him before. Can I just say it was the coolest thing I have seen in quite some time???

Unfortunately, I am sure that as VBS becomes a memory of the past, and the glory of the moment fades, this young man will probably mouse back into the boy he was. I'm not sure what, if anything, I could say or do to keep that openness in his spirit there. I think I will need to pray on what to do about that. But, it was so cool to see him taking pride and value in something that he knew no comfort or experience in before.

To rise to the occasion when someone places the expectation before you....now that is awesome.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the life of a 13-year-old boy. He's often little brother, "just a kid". Yet putting his toe into leadership, trying on the mantle of adulthood. Our church family is a wonderful place to see him grow. God is good. (yes, I'm his mom)