Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Dad

How do I even begin to give tribute to my dad? How do I sum up 30-something years of influence into just a few paragraphs? There is a part of me that wants to say something like if the ocean were filled with ink and the skies made of parchment.....

I think the highest calling of an earthly Father is to emulate our Heavenly Father. Kind of a daunting task, don't you think? I am not saying that my dad was perfect, but he did a pretty good job fulfilling that roll as a Dad. I remember boundless patience, teachable moments, love, laughter and acceptance. I must not have been the best of students because I wish that I had an ounce of the patience that he displayed.

Dad did an awesome job making memories when I was a kid. I loved that my parents were educators, thus we had summers as a family. I miss that part of an educator's lifestyle. We made lots of memories camping, hiking, fishing (retrieving canoes that had floated away from shore....oops), riding bikes, swimming, etc....etc...etc. I also remember there being chores in there, too....we didn't play all the time. But we did have a lot of fun. I'd have to say that I had a pretty idyllic childhood. It inspires me today to try and make memories with my own kids.

Dad, you continue to be an example to me as I have become a mother. To see how you overcame the obstacles in your own life to become the man that you are today is inspiring. I remember someone asking me once if I was half the person that you were.....I think I responded that I hoped so. I think, today, I would have to answer that question the same way. If I can end my life being half the person that you are, I would be satisfied.

I'm looking forward to our vacation together. I love that my kids consider their Papa their best friend. I love seeing my kids desiring to be like you. I love that they listen to your instruction. I love watching my kids play with you. I think we will have another week of making memories. What a lot of fun that will be.

I love you, Dad. Happy Father's Day. Wish I were there to be with you.....but we will be there soon. We can hardly wait.

xoxoxox!!

(cheesy picture of me....but great one of Dad!)

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kip,

This tribute is beyond nice, a challenge to live to.

I am thankful that God gave me two wonderful daughters!!!

I love you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dad