Monday, September 17, 2007

Fleeting Moments

I really use to hate Mondays when I worked in the traditional work force. Today....I don't mind Mondays so much. I did hate having to get up so blasted early this morning in order to get ready and get the kids ready for school. Yet, with no outside obligations today, Luke and I have been hanging low. It has been nice as today I feel like I've been hit by a MAC truck and all I want to do is crash.

Weekends seem to go so incredibly fast....especially when there are things to be done. Daria had a soccer game. Personally, she did really well. As a team, they struggled. It is hard to answer questions of "Why do we always lose?" (It is only game 2....officially only game 1) She played goalie for part of the game....and no one scored on her. She did good. Her mom, on the other hand, just about fell out of her chair on one goal attempt before she managed to pick up the ball. Yikes.

Yesterday afternoon was nice and leisurely. It doesn't seem like we have those very often anymore. I was trying to plan out some extra fun for next weekend....but it is a full weekend and it doesn't look like it is going to happen. After church yesterday, we drove to one of our favorite burger places, Burgerville. The kids, of course, do not have such sophisticated tastes, so we picked them up some Wendy's. Tim...being a little adventurous....decided to take the scenic view home. We drove up in the mountains between Newberg and Sherwood...saw some beautiful homes...some beautiful horses...and before I knew it...we were right back where we started. Hmmmm....one big circle. Tim declared that I now knew another way home. ?????

Later that afternoon, after finally arriving back home, the kids sat on the couch with Tim while he taught them some of the finer points of football. Should have known that Tim wouldn't have last long....he soon fell asleep. So, Daria and I headed downstairs to practice her piano lesson. Caden hid himself away in his room to play. And Luke just wandered between us all.

That evening, the kids....missing their daily tv shows....asked to watch a movie. So, I decided that we would watch some of our family video. We turned on the videos from when Daria was 6, Caden was 4, and Luke was 2. It seems like just yesterday. It really hasn't been that long ago. Yet, it was so striking to see the changes. The changes happen day to day so gradually that they don't seem to be happening at all. Then, bam, you see those pictures and you are reminded of how fleeting time really is. I was regretful that at the moment I didn't savor those times a little more. Even today, I don't savor these "Nows" nearly like I should; and, in a few years I will be clamoring to remember the feel, the smell, the emotion of the Nows of Today.

It reminds me of this children's book written by Karen Kingsbury. It is called Let Me Hold You Longer. Makes me cry every stinkin' time. I won't type out the whole book, but I will parts of it. I hope that I won't completely slaughter her thought. It is just a reminder to hold on to those fleeting moments....you may never know when it will be your "last."

Long ago you came to me, a miracle of firsts: First smiles and teeth and baby steps, a sunbeam on the burst. But one day you will move away and leave to me your past, and I will be left thinking of a lifetime of your lasts....

The last time when you ran to me, still small enough to hold. The last time that you said you'd marry me when you grew old. Precious, simple moments and bright flashes from your past----Would I have held on longer if I'd known they were your last?

Our last adventure to the park, your final midday nap, the last time when you wore your favorite faded baseball cap.

Your last few hours of kindergarten, those last days of first grade, your last at bat in Little League, last colored picture made.

I never said good-bye to all your yesterdays long passed. So what about tomorrow---will I recognize your lasts?..........

I look ahead and dream of days that haven't come to pass, but as I do, I sometimes miss today's sweet precious lasts.......

My life keeps moving fast, stealing precious days that pass. I want to hold on longer----want to recognize your lasts.....

I've watched you grow and barely noticed seasons as they pass. If I could freeze the hands of time, I'd hold on to your lasts. For come some bright fall morning, you'll be going far away. College life will beckon in a brilliant sort of way. One last hug, one last goodbye, one quick and hurried kiss. One last time to understand just how much you'll be missed. I'll watch you leave and think how fast our time together passed.

Let me hold on longer, God, to every precious last.

0 comments: