Monday, September 10, 2007

Soccer Mania!!!

Soccer is all the rage these days. I certainly don't remember it being like this when I was a kid. We had Soccer Jamboree this weekend for Daria. It blows my mind every year the sheer volume of kids who play soccer. It seems like if you don't play soccer....there is something wrong with you.

So...soccer was our weekend. I was so glad for the warm weather as we spent time in long lines waiting to get pictures taken....and then sat through a nice toast warm game. Daria did really well. She seems to have a tad bit of her dad's athleticism. (her mom's too....but Dad is definitely the sports star.) Her coach seems to be really nice; and, even though she didn't know any of the girls when she joined the team, Daria already seems to have made fast friends. (Amazing.)

I'm finding with myself that I am very much a sideline kind of Coach Mom. Or maybe I am just the epitome of a Soccer mom. I just can't seem to keep my mouth shut. Maybe I should have a little remote control in my hands that tell our players where to go. I told myself that I would be a nice, quiet Mom....just sit there and only cheer when really great things happen. Oh no....that is just quite impossible. I'm up there yelling..."Help her out....someone help her out." "Go, Girlie, Go." "Get it, babe.....get in there." That is just a small smattering of my soccer sayings.

I always want to be an encouragement to my daughter. She really is a talented little girl. I am really proud of her. I was thinking that all my little sayings weren't making it to the field. We were sitting a fair amount away up on the hill. Daria informed me last night that she heard me. "I heard you tell me to get up there and help her, Mom.....but the coach told me I couldn't go up that far." Oh man....overruled by the coach!! Yikes. Guess I had better watch my mouth a little closer. It is so hard....I just get too excited. It is so impossibly hard to sit there and do nothing.

So....I guess I will just have to start biting my tongue....maybe start sucking on candy....or just using plain duct tape. Ugh. Do they have behavior modification techniques for Sideline Soccer Moms? Or maybe I should start Soccer Moms Anonymous. I can hardly imagine what I will be like next year when two....possible three....of my children are doing soccer.

I could be in some serious trouble!

Go, Daria!!

0 comments: