Thursday, September 6, 2007

My precious Man Cub!

Luke and I had a low-key day at home today. Relatively. It was a day that I soooo needed. I cleaned most of the day. It is amazing how nasty your home can get when you are dashing from one activity to another. My house was GROSS!!! I feel so much better now that I can walk across the boys' room without stepping on some tiny toy that digs in to the soft spots of my feet. I feel so much better now that the sticky spots on the kitchen floor have been washed away. I feel so much better now that toothpaste smears have been washed down the drain. My friends asked me yesterday what I would do if I had a day without the kids. My answer: Clean like a madwoman. Why? Because there is nothing like the peace that comes with a clean house. (Now....if I can just whip those kids into shape so that it stays clean.) I'll ignore that fact that I still need to put laundry away....and clean my room a little more....and tackle the downstairs. BUT...the main part of the house is clean.

Ok....I'll quit fooling myself. I still have a lot to do. :::::sigh:::::

My little man was so precious today. Luke, that is. I had forgotten what fun he is when he isn't competing with his siblings. When he is in competition...if there is someone else around, he is in competition...he can be one intense little man. He can wear you down faster than a yorkie maxed out on caffeine. Some people don't know what to think of him. He is not bashful....everyone is his friend....he can do anything (so he thinks)...and he'll tell you exactly what he is thinking. People always know when Luke is around.

Today...we had such a good time. Even though I was working hard to clean things up...he was right beside me a good deal of the time. We had fun hiding in the shower and scaring each other. We had fun being flipped over and tickled. We had fun snuggling on the bean bag. He really can be a sensitive little man. He gave me so many hugs and kisses today. It is times like this when I realize that not only is Luke my son....he is my friend.

There were times when he was little that I thought for sure that one of us wouldn't survive until he was grown and out of the house. The struggles that I have had with that child have been some of the most trying experiences that I have ever had. They have also been the moments that have driven me to my knees, pleading to my Jesus, more times than I can count...seeking strength, wisdom, and courage to face another day.

Something that I have come to appreciate about Luke is that the times of defiance can be intense and LOUD; yet, most of the time, they are like flashes in the pan....because the next minute he can be laughing with the most infectious giggle. His smile is contagious....his hugs are suffocating....his joy is catching....his devotion is endearing. His latest thing has been to ask everyone their name. It can be a little unnerving for me, his Wallflower Mom. Amazingly...most people seem to warm right up to him and before long...Luke has another admirer. I can learn a lot from him.

Now, just in case some are starting to think that I have nominated my son for sainthood, I must share with you my one bring-me-back-down-to-earth experience I had with Luke today. There was a time, this afternoon, where Luke had gone outside to play. I was cleaning....working hard while he was distracted on his own. He comes back in...and the next thing I know, Luke comes to me...."Mom...I made a rainbow in Daria's room." Hmmmm....I wasn't too concerned...we'd had such a great day. I walk into Daria's room....and sure enough....there is a rainbow in Daria's room. In crayon. On the carpet. Oh my.

Whether in screams or laughter.....terror or joy.....Luke is still Luke.

And I love him.


0 comments: