Friday, September 14, 2007

Friday Ramble

I love writing on my blog. I really look forward to sitting down for a little bit every afternoon and conjuring up something to write about. I love how it directs my thoughts. I have kind of been on the dry side today trying to think of something to write about. I thought about complaining because all my kids were home today after 4 days of school. But, really that is nothing to really write about. I thought about writing about Daria's excitement over her very first piano lesson that she had today. (She was thrilled!) Yet, when I actually sat down and logged on....the only thing that I could think about was my kids' school and my role as a parent.

We had our first MITCH PAC (Parent Advisory Committee) meeting last night. Somehow....I'm not sure how, I have found myself to be the new PAC Treasurer. I would never have dreamed that I would be in this place. When Daria started kindergarten at the local elementary school 3 years ago, I would never thought that I would take on such an active role in my child's school. I figured I would just put in my hour or so a week volunteering in their class and call it good. Since my kids have been in this Charter school, I find myself incredibly passionate about their school. Yikes....scare me.

So...here I am...this timid, don't-look-at-me-funny, cowardly mom....rising up to be an advocate for my school. Notice I said my school....not my kids' school. I find myself, me...who hates fundraisers...asking people to buy Entertainment books in support of our school. (Sale is on until Sept 19....$20 for the Portland area!) Shameless...aren't I???? I find myself volunteering to be the Treasurer. I find myself volunteering to man booths to advocate our school. Oh my goodness!!!

So why? Why am I so passionate about their school? Plain and simple, it is just a great school. The curriculum is over the top good. I have watched my kids blossom under their teacher's instruction. I have learned more about the English language in the last year than I have in my entire life. My kids....and me, too....are greeted by name every morning by the principal. This principal who is suppose to be part time and I know he isn't working part time. I have met other parents who have seen their kids transform under the instruction at this school. I have met parents who when they talk about this school...cry because of the blessing it has been in their lives. Being a part of this school has been the most unique experience of my life.

I am really not sure why I am writing this post. I'm not even sure where I am going with this post. It just seemed like this mass of ramblings roaring through my brain that just had to get out. I just really feel like God led us to this charter school. Not just for my kids....but for me, too. (The charter is established to eventually only go through the 8th grade....but I'm secretly praying they will decide to do it all the way through!)

Now that I am nearing the end of what I feel needed to get out, I don't know how to end it. So, I guess I will just end by saying I am so thankful for Mitch Charter school, for Mr. Puhl, and for the many wonderful fellow parents I have met. I feel stretched.....but I also feel blessed.

0 comments: